[SOLVED] What is wrong with my internet?

The_Meme_Player

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
I am connected via ethernet to my router, and have unbearable issues. I try to download a driver update for my motherboard (200mbs), and I am getting 100kb/s. Halfway through the download, the speed boosts all the way up to 2mb/s. Then near the end, it goes down to 50kb/s. This issue is present on all my devices.

I try a speed test. First test, I get 0.3mb/s download and 11mb/s upload. Second test, I get 2mb/s download and 11mb/s upload. Third test, I get 30mb/s download and 15mb/s upload. I do it a forth time, and goes down to 0.2mb/s download, but still 11mb/s upload. Isn't your upload speed supposed to be slower than your download?

I struggle to watch a 1080p youtube video without it taking 30sec+ to load. All the online games I play have at least 20% packet loss, no matter the server, yet I have only 30 ping.

Other things to note:
  1. This issue is also present with my wifi
  2. I have tried multiple ethernet cables

Solution
So if you suspect it is the router an easy test would be to connect directly to the modem. If you have the same issues, it's not your router--it's probably an issue with the isp. And if it's been going on that long, probably a simple cabling issue that they need to fix.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would go through the checklist suggestions to power cycle all of your equipment, check again. Might check to see if there is a reported outage in your area. If in the US, there has been a lot of news about "attacks" to both cell and internet providers all week. That may be causing you issue?

The_Meme_Player

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
The issues I currently have have been prominent for about 2 years now, so it can't be anything recent. I am fairly certain it is our router, because it is about 5 years old at this point. My family refuses to upgrade the internet or get a new router, so I am forced to troubleshoot some different way.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
ouch

Sounds like you need a new router and or a tech out to troubleshoot their end of the equipment.
I had a similar issue with a provider some years ago involving a bit of their equipment down the street from my house. They kept blaming it on my inside equipment...either way probably not a lot of help to you without being authorized on the account.

So if you suspect it is the router an easy test would be to connect directly to the modem. If you have the same issues, it's not your router--it's probably an issue with the isp. And if it's been going on that long, probably a simple cabling issue that they need to fix.

Solution