Question What is wrong with my Kingston PCIe 4.0 NVMe M2 SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2023
Issue:
A few seconds after using the Kingston PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (copying files to it or installing a game or app) it stops working and the ssd is not recognized any longer.

History:
- I received the SSD a couple of days ago, since the first PCIe 4.0 port was partially covered by the cooler and the GPU, I decided to take everything to the local PC technician to avoid the fuss.
- I got my PC back two days ago, but when I came back home I noticed that something was off. I copied a video file towards the SSD and it worked fine, was able to play it.
- Then I tried to copy more files and I received an error message, as if the disk was not recognized anymore.
- I tried to install a game on the ssd, and I got a similar message.
- I tried to format the SSD through Windows Explorer and it wouldn't work.
- I tried to format the SSD through AOMEI Partition Assistant and it wouldn't let me.
- One of the various error messages I received from AOMEI, was pointing to a potential bad cluster, I checked the ssd and found no bad clusters.
- After some tries and some restarts, I managed to format the disk through Windows Explorer, but the problem persists.
- I got the PC back to the technician yesterday, and he called me back later in the day and said he fixed it by updating the bios. He also installed a game on the SSD to test it and it worked fine.
- I got it back home yesterday evening. The game was fully installed as the technician told me. But when I tried to copy more files to the SSD, I got the same error.
- The problem now persists, whenever I reset the PC the ssd is recognized fine, but if I try to do something with it, copy files or install something, in a matter of seconds (the time it takes varies randomly but it is usually not that long) it stops working and stops being recognized.
- AOMEI sees it as a GTP drive when it is working and when it stops working it sees it as an MBR.

Screenshots:
- I attach some screenshots that showcase the error messages and the different ways AOMEI displays the ssd, when it is recognized and when it's not.
E-is-not-accesible.jpg

Windows-was-unable-to-complete-the-format.jpg

aomei-1.jpg

aomei-2.jpg

System:
ASUS B550 Plus Wifi II
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
32MB RAM Gskill
AMD Radeon RX 6900XT

Storage:
C: is a Crucial 512GB SATA SSD
D: is a Western Digital 500GB SATA HDD
E: is a Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB SSD

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is this the SSD you're working with
?

ASUS B550 Plus Wifi II
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

I received the SSD a couple of days ago, since the first PCIe 4.0 port was partially covered by the cooler and the GPU, I decided to take everything to the local PC technician to avoid the fuss
You should drop the SSD into the first M.2 slot.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. make and model of the case and the airflow in your case(meaning the number of fans and the orientation of said fans)?

Oct 13, 2023
Thank you for the quick response my friend. This is the info that you asked for and that I could find out.

Bios version: 3205
PSU: Be Quiet Straight Power 11 850W Full Modular 80 Plus Platinum. Bought it a year ago.
Case: NZXT tower but I don't remember the model and can't find it.
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Fans: Noctua fans but I can't find out the exact model. One at the front and one at the back.

And the SSD is placed in the first M.2 slot.

Oct 13, 2023
Looks like it's faulty.
Showing as 0 bytes in Partition Assistant.

Replace.
Preferably with some other brand SSD than Kingston next time.
It shows 0 bytes after the nvme stops being recognized. If I reset the computer and the ssd is recognized, then the first image which shows the correct amount (1.86TB) is being displayed. So maybe there's something else that's wrong?

I'm asking in case I didn't make that clear in my first post.

SkyNet's point is that with SSDs there are no mechanical parts involved. It's FLASH memory so you're better off replacing it with a better brand than Kingston. It's not like it has heads that spin up or arms to move across the heads that work at first after a reboot and then stop. Something is faulty with either the FLASH memory or the controller.

It shows 0 bytes after the nvme stops being recognized. If I reset the computer and the ssd is recognized, then the first image which shows the correct amount (1.86TB) is being displayed. So maybe there's something else that's wrong?

I'm asking in case I didn't make that clear in my first post.
We could go down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out what other hardware may be faulty, and by the time we figure it out, which is likely the SSD since that appears to be the last thing you added to your computer, you would've missed your return window to the store and now you have to deal with the manufacturer's RMA process, who may tell you do the same things again to "make sure" it's really the SSD.

Return the drive and get another one.

Oct 13, 2023
UPDATE:
I returned the Kingston SSD, and bought a Seagate Firecuda530 in its place. I installed it, and I get the same error. When I try to copy or install files on it, I will get the

"Error 0x800701B1 A device which does not exist was specified".

It looks like the issue is elsewhere and not on the SSD. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Might be relevant: I've had a different issue with my PC for quite some time now, as it would randomly produce a green screen while I'm gaming. I got my PC a couple of times to the technician but he couldn't recreate the issue at his place and was unable to help me.

UPDATE:
I returned the Kingston SSD, and bought a Seagate Firecuda530 in its place. I installed it, and I get the same error. When I try to copy or install files on it, I will get the

"Error 0x800701B1 A device which does not exist was specified".

It looks like the issue is elsewhere and not on the SSD. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Might be relevant: I've had a different issue with my PC for quite some time now, as it would randomly produce a green screen while I'm gaming. I got my PC a couple of times to the technician but he couldn't recreate the issue at his place and was unable to help me.
That error typically deals with USB readability issues and not SSD issues.

Sounds like you have two three options at this point:
1) Unplug any and all USB devices except keyboard and mouse and see if the same thing happens.
1.1) If so, proceed to step 2.
1.2) If not, start plugging devices back in until you get the error again. That will tell you your source.
2) Backup and reinstall a fresh OS and see if the issues return after that.
3) Take it back to the technician and tell him to fix whatever he did to your drive as you now can't access anything at all.

Oct 13, 2023
I followed your steps - apart from the last one, because the technician didn't install my current SSD, the Firecuda one.

When I installed Windows from scratch, the SSD was working normally. But when I installed the AMD drivers for the GPU, the SSD had the same issues as before. I looked on the internet and there have been other instances when AMD drivers made SSDs stop working, but it was for multiple M.2 SSDs on RAID, which is not my case.

Any suggestions any one?

Uninstall the GPU drivers from Safe Mode, download the version before the latest (should be available on their site somewhere), and see if it happens again. If it doesn't, submit feedback to AMD about the driver causing issues with your exact make/model of SSD.

Sounds like something in the AMD drivers is causing your SSD to freak out.

Oct 13, 2023
PLEASE IGNORE THIS MESSAGE, MY SSD IS STILL NOT BEING RECOGNIZED AFTER A FEW MINUTES:

I tried something else this morning. I'm usually connecting my PC to my 4k TV via an HDMI cable and my PC to my audio system via a DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

Today I tried the following:
- I removed the hdmi cable altogether and I connected my PC to the TV, via the DisplayPort to HDMI cable and my SSD works as it should. Which means that my GPU's HDMI port should be the culprit. Does anyone have any idea if there is something I could do to fix it?

I need my HDMI port because I can't get over 30Hz with the Display Port to HDMI cable and with the HDMI cable I can get up to 120Hz in 4K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.