Question What is wrong with my old laptop?

May 18, 2021
Hello, I have a problem with my laptop. My laptop suddenly shuts down at ± 65 ° C gpu. Before this happened, my laptop was able to stand up to 90 ° C and then shut down. but after i clean laptop fan with air compressor, my laptop works better with idle temperature around 39-44 ° C but when i am playing a game and temperature touch ± 65 ° C, laptop will turn off.

Postscript:

1.) If I activate the turbo core (2.8 GHz) feature and use my dedicated GPU (Radeon HD 8750m), my laptop will die when starting the game (even though the laptop has just been turned on and the temperature doesn't feel hot).

2.) I can use the turbo core feature if it is used with the integrated GPU( Radeon 7640g). so that the laptop does not die.

3.) When I only use 2 cores out of 4 cores of my CPU and use my dedicated gpu (Radeon HD 8750m), the laptop can last up to 70 ° C ( CPU and GPU temp) without turning off. but I get low fps.

4.) When I limit the fps to 30 and lower the cpu clock to 1.7 Ghz, it causes 60-70% gpu ( radeon hd 8750m) usage, so the laptop doesn't die.

Acer E1-451G Laptop:

- CPU: AMD APU A8-4500M Quad Core 1.9 GHz (Turbo boost to 2.8 Ghz) with Radeon HD 7640g Integrated GPU

- RAM: 4 GB DDR3

- GPU: Radeon HD 8750M 2 GB Vram (Core clock 825 MHz, Memory clock 900 MHz)

Edit 1 : I can undervolt my CPU. so the temp is better than before. Can i undervolt my GPU without MSI Afterburner ? (MSI Afterburner voltage control doesn't support with my GPU)

Edit 2 : I tried to run my laptop without a battery. Then, i run GPU stress. The maximum temp of the GPU (Radeon 8750m) is 90°C and the CPU at 65°C.
But when i'am using my laptop for gaming( playing Subnautica : Below Zero, Fps stable at 30). The laptop shuts down at 66.1°C for CPU and 69°C for GPU( Radeon 8750m).

Thanks

Last edited:
May 18, 2021
Hello, I have a problem with my laptop. My laptop suddenly shuts down at ± 65 ° C gpu. Before this happened, my laptop was able to stand up to 90 ° C and then shut down. but after i clean laptop fan with air compressor, my laptop works better with idle temperature around 39-44 ° C but when i am playing a game and temperature touch ± 65 ° C, laptop will turn off.

Postscript:

1.) If I activate the turbo core (2.8 GHz) feature and use my dedicated GPU (Radeon HD 8750m), my laptop will die when starting the game (even though the laptop has just been turned on and the temperature doesn't feel hot).

2.) I can use the turbo core feature if it is used with the integrated GPU( Radeon 7640g). so that the laptop does not die.

3.) When I only use 2 cores out of 4 cores of my CPU and use my dedicated gpu (Radeon HD 8750m), the laptop can last up to 70 ° C ( CPU and GPU temp) without turning off. but I get low fps.

4.) When I limit the fps to 30 and lower the cpu clock to 1.7 Ghz, it causes 60-70% gpu ( radeon hd 8750m) usage, so the laptop doesn't die.

Acer E1-451G Laptop:

- CPU: AMD APU A8-4500M Quad Core 1.9 GHz (Turbo boost to 2.8 Ghz) with Radeon HD 7640g Integrated GPU

- RAM: 4 GB DDR3

- GPU: Radeon HD 8750M 2 GB Vram (Core clock 825 MHz, Memory clock 900 MHz)

Edit 1 : I can undervolt my CPU. so the temp is better than before. Can i undervolt my GPU without MSI Afterburner ? (MSI Afterburner voltage control doesn't support with my GPU)

Thanks

What software do you use to read out temperatures? There are other components on the laptop mainboard not being monitored that may cause the issue, and it's virtually no way you can detect that.

What you can do is to run OCCT stress test and look at temperatures and voltages graphs to see if some values goes out of normal.