Question What is your favorite GPU of all time?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Greetings!

Technology is changing so quickly that it can be tough to develop a deep attachment to any one item. However, through the years we've all likely made that one really big purchase that left us feeling like we were way ahead of the curve.

When I first caught the bug to build computers from scratch, the litmus test for any GPU was how it could run Crysis. At the time, next to nothing could really do it justice.

Many years after it came out, I was still using that game to test the power of graphics hardware and the GeForce 7800 GTX was my first card to run everything on high settings. It wasn't a perfect experience, given limitations I had in other hardware, but that is the first time a graphics card really blew me away.

What graphics card/GPU do you have fond memories of using?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sticking with the theme of GPU-Compute milestones, the Radeon 9700 Pro deserves a shout-out for bringing floating-point arithmetic into mainstream GPUs.

And, although this will look better in hindsight, Nvidia really did blow my mind by putting Tensor cores and hardware raytracing acceleration in the Turing series. I didn't expect either. As we all know, it just got soured by pricing, not to mention breaking their trend of generational efficiency improvements.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have too many "favorites" over the years to list, which is currently a Radeon VII.

I do have a uniquely memorable, all-time (non) favorite, an Intel i740 AGP. It would simply not work with my AMD/VIA chipset rig back in the day. I had a SiS 6326 AGP that would be a close, (non)favorite second.

Reactions: bit_user

DeadnightWarrior

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
blogofthunder.eu
hmm... tough one.
Getting a 3DFX Voodoo 1 was a major milestone for me, back in 1998 or thereabouts.

Still, I'd say the original ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR was my fav card, it lasted longer that I expected and I never regret having bought that over the first (and horribly expensive) GeForce 256.

Mar 21, 2020
Greetings!

Technology is changing so quickly that it can be tough to develop a deep attachment to any one item. However, through the years we've all likely made that one really big purchase that left us feeling like we were way ahead of the curve.

When I first caught the bug to build computers from scratch, the litmus test for any GPU was how it could run Crysis. At the time, next to nothing could really do it justice.

Many years after it came out, I was still using that game to test the power of graphics hardware and the GeForce 7800 GTX was my first card to run everything on high settings. It wasn't a perfect experience, given limitations I had in other hardware, but that is the first time a graphics card really blew me away.

Intel HD Graphics 4000, cause why not?

WildCard999

Titan
Reactions: hftvhftv

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
My favorite has to be the EVGA GTX 780 6gb, a card so good that it competed with the GTX Titan Black which was nearly double the price and manufacturing for it was shut down only a couple of months after release.

https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=3DAC5FFB-FB22-4D38-AFAA-A019DE52D630

Due to the "cheaper" price tag I ended up buying two of them for SLI which served me well for a few years.
These would have been an excellent choice back in the day. My personal favourite GPU of all time would have to be my old GTX 770 Windforce OC 4GB. That thing served me for five years and I bought a second one for SLI which got me an extra year out of them until I replaced it with my 980 Ti Classified. I really liked the cooler design and the 4GB of memory made games like Apex Legends still run quite well.

Reactions: WildCard999

Dealman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2014
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX, it was vastly overpowered at its release. Served me well throughout several years and I only had to bake it in the oven 3 times while also retrofitting it with a aftermarket cooler and some of those good old stick-on heat sinks.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
My RX 570 was the first card I had fond memories of paired with a FX 8350. Having only had a terrible laptop before it was a huge leap. The computer just finally broke down but I think the GPU still works.

JAs-Singh685

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
Gotta be the Nvidia 8600GT for me. I had the 256MB XFX version and it finally allowed me to play Crysis on medium at 40fps! (Let's ignore the fact it was only 800x600) .That card introduced me to the wonderful world of gaming.

That's a tough one. Sometimes I purchased a video card to make a specific game run better. Other times it was just a general, "My GPU is 2+ years old. Let's see what kind of deals I can find for a general overall boost in performance." For nostalgia sake, I would have to say either my original ATI All-In-Wonder Pro (97-98 edition) or my ATI Radeon 8500.

My friends all 'ooooed and ahhhhed' over my ability to switch from playing Unreal or Unreal Tournament to watching TV on the same screen. Gaming and TV watching at the same time with PiP, on a computer, was considered true 'wizardry' at that time too.
I worked for Gateway at the turn of the millennium and, at the time, they had a great employee purchase program. I used mine to buy a crap computer with the best video card and monitor Gateway had to offer. I grabbed the top notch Radeon 8500 and graphics design monitor (monitor was 50+lbs!) for my gaming rig and gave the computer to a family member (with a non-gaming GPU and monitor).
The ATI 8500 Pro was a massive leap in gaming performance for me. It also touted the latest pixel shader 1.4. It was like watching a movie when I loaded up the original Morrowind with pixel shader 1.4. It made water appear so 'life-like'.

Greetings!

It was probably the GT710. I ran on a system with a really old Intel HD Graphics model and it really struggled. I decided to buy a new "gaming pc" (yes prebuilt) and switching to the GT710 was mega (the pc i bought had a GT710 and a FX4300). It blew my mind on the fps increase and I loved it until around 2 years later I decided to get the GTX1050 because I realised how bad it was. I only played minecraft and Roblox on the 710. I ran overwatch as well and thought my computer was really powerful. But to be fair, I really sucked at computers back a few years.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
ATI HD3870. For it's time it had a lot of forward looking design and was only marginally worse than it's direct competitor. It was basically a DX11 device years before DX11 was released. For me it marked a clear change in GPU architecture for both AMD and nVidia.

Reactions: bit_user
Mar 24, 2020
Greetings!

I think GTX 1660 :D

Mar 24, 2020
My favourite GPU of all time? Well...My favourite is the GTX 1660. It is a nice budget GPU that can handle 1920x1080 gaming at above 60 FPS. Reasonably priced, good performance. Nothing much to say about it. Great budget GPU that can push out an enjoyable gaming experience.

TRENDING THREADS