Discussion what is your favorite GPU you have ever used from a performance and/or design standpoint?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Personally, I thought the FE 30 series cards looked very nice. It was a shame they were so hard to buy. I would say the best-looking one that I ever used is my current reference model RX 6800. I don't know what it is about the reference model AMD cards of late, but I think they just look so clean.

Well personally, I've enjoyed all of the main GPU's I've bought over the years. They've all brought me an increase in performance and better gaming experience.

Voodoo 3 3000 PCI >Geforce 256 DDR> ATI 9800 Pro/Creative Geforce TI 4800>GTX9800>+GTX 260 Core 216>GTX560TI, GTX1060 6gb>RTX3060 TI (current GPU). Mostly main stream GPU's.

Ooh, I just found an FX5900xt in my drawer :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I wonder if it still works. going from a GTX 560 ti to 1060 would have been a huge upgrade.
Yeah, it was a huge bump. I'd defo include the GTX1060 6gb in any conversation of what makes a good GPU. The GTX1060 was powerful enough to deliver really good 1080p performance. The biggest asset, that it was still able to handle most games at 1080p long after it may have been thought would be irrelevant.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I always liked the EVGA designs. I had a 960 SSC that was quite smexy. At the time that I purchased it, I really liked the MSI Gaming X in that red and black design. The backplate with the dragon was really nice. As time went on I started to find the front of it to be a little overstated.

The reference designs since 3xxx are really nice looking. I am not a huge fan of the opposing sides (cooling) in the higher end cards though.

I really like the front and backplate of the Sapphire Reference 7800XT I am using now. Just, sleek and sexy all the way around.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, it was a huge bump. I'd defo include the GTX1060 6gb in any conversation of what makes a good GPU. The GTX1060 was powerful enough to deliver really good 1080p performance. The biggest asset, that it was still able to handle most games at 1080p long after it may have been though would be irrelevant.

I was using an older 7770 graphics card and the VRAM amount was just too low. I ended up getting the 960 3GB card, mostly due to price. Unfortunately, they didn't age well both from a memory standpoint as well as performance. With the increased requirements that came along about that same time that card instantly was low settings at 1080, or higher if you were willing to go 720, and it did well at that aspect. When the 10xx cards were released I was already in the market and I recall looking hard at the 60 series, but opted for the extra $200 than an 80 series would be a better buy for a longer period of relevance.

I would say it was a good decision in that the 1080 remains worthwhile even to this day.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Probably the GTX 980.

Went from a i5 2500K with Xfire 6970's to a 4790K and the 980. In 2014.

That was about the time SLI and Xfire was about dead.

Edit in fact that was the last card I paid for, 1070 and current 2080 both hand-me-downs from my brother.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, 8800GTS comes to mind. Beginning of DX10, and there were a few DX10 titles coming out around then. Last gasp of the true PC exclusive titles as well I would say.

Voodoo 2/Voodoo 3 times were also a huge deal for me. Going from a 1MB 2D video card with a 12MB accelerator to a 16MB 2d/3d card. That was something else. Glide titles always looked pretty darn good compared to software or Open GL rendering. Wasn't long before it flopped the other way and people stopped developing for Glide.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Hmm, 8800GTS comes to mind. Beginning of DX10, and there were a few DX10 titles coming out around then. Last gasp of the true PC exclusive titles as well I would say.

Voodoo 2/Voodoo 3 times were also a huge deal for me. Going from a 1MB 2D video card with a 12MB accelerator to a 16MB 2d/3d card. That was something else. Glide titles always looked pretty darn good compared to software or Open GL rendering. Wasn't long before it flopped the other way and people stopped developing for Glide.
didn't glide become DirectX? I can't remember.

Reactions: artk2219

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
No, DirectX popped up as an API a little later from Microsoft so that games development was easier for Windows.
I seem to remember glide being a precursor to... was it Vulkan? I swear I remember hearing that glide was turned into something that is still used. I can't think of it ATM.

Reactions: artk2219

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I seem to remember glide being a precursor to... was it Vulkan? I swear I remember hearing that glide was turned into something that is still used. I can't think of it ATM.

I don't think so. Nvidia purchased 3DFX. Not sure any of their IP or technology actually made it into their hardware. Nvidia's GPU is what killed 3DFX in the first place.

Yeah, pretty much Nvidia dropped all support for 3DFX hardware, even offered a trade-in program to switch people to Nvidia cards.

The only tiny thing is that 3DFX pioneered SLI. But that was scan line interleaving, not scalable link interface, though the effect was similar. Multiple GPUs used to render a scene.

Voodoo cards drew every other row of pixels (kind of like infinite tearing) and SLI did either top/bottom half of a frame or every other frame, if I recall.

Well personally, I've enjoyed all of the main GPU's I've bought over the years. They've all brought me an increase in performance and better gaming experience.
I have to agree with Roland Of Gilead.
So many through the years.

Nvidia 6800GT okay great memories and she kicked. Short lived being AGP.

Bumped to a Nvidia 7800Gt and well lack luster but did the job.

Nvidia 8800 Gt holy batman she was a winner. Ran hot but games ran on another level.

GTX 690 on the proper games made in the card release It runs games super fast.

Nvidia Titan X Pascal another winner.

Look wise the GTX 690, performance wise the Titan X Pascal.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Design wise I really liked the OEM blower coolers for the 900 series. Also the Star Wars edition titans that were pretty cool.
Didn't really like that they added all the extra angles for the 10 series.

EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 might be a personal favorite design wise. Might have to pick one up to put on my shelf.

From a performance standpoint, well, it would be the card that I have currently because I've never owned one of the top-two most potent video cards in the world before. I have to admit, it's pretty damn awesome! :giggle:

ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC:
9957-front.jpg

From a design standpoint, that would have to be the XFX Radeon HD 4870 because I love that spiky goalie mask look (which is why I made it my avatar). I have both iterations of that card:
2-x-xfx-radeon-hd-4870-1gb-jpg.313815

They also came with the coolest and most badass-looking video card box-art that I've ever seen (IMO of course):
9254629_ra.jpg

Video cards today look kinda bland compared to the cards of old with that came with the wicked box art and graphics on the cards themselves. Today it's all boring designs and RGB.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
From a performance standpoint, well, it would be the card that I have currently because I've never owned one of the top-two most potent video cards in the world before. I have to admit, it's pretty damn awesome! :giggle:

ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC:
9957-front.jpg

From a design standpoint, that would have to be the XFX Radeon HD 4870 because I love that spiky goalie mask look (which is why I made it my avatar). I have both iterations of that card:
2-x-xfx-radeon-hd-4870-1gb-jpg.313815

They also came with the coolest and most badass-looking video card box-art that I've ever seen (IMO of course):
9254629_ra.jpg

Video cards today look kinda bland compared to the cards of old with that came with the wicked box art and graphics on the cards themselves. Today it's all boring designs and RGB.
what do you think about the designs (ignoring price) of the Star Wars titan cards? I am practically begging AMD to make one.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What the cards looked like never meant anything to me. Its only in the last few years that all the cases have tempered glass panels that it really matters what card looks like. And really only then if you have a vertical GPU mount as who cares if you have RGB fans if its facing downwards - all mine do is illuminate the PSU shroud.

In that regard, latest card is best looking... My Asus RTX 2070 Super just had one rgb strip and I couldn't control it. At least I have some control over new one, though would be nice if it had more than one rgb zone, as I could have more colors on it without using rainbow color scheme:

tvhmbUq.jpg

Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT OC 20gb

Performance: I assume everyone would say latest card they had as why upgrade if it doesn't give better?

I never bought top range card before as I see them as too expensive... and short lived at top... better to buy lower lvl. 7900xt highest I have bought... the XTX was out of stock already... it was the first day card was for sale... was lucky to get the one I have now.

I've had many cards over the decades, mostly high end and several reference boards, some factory overclocked triple fan monstrosities, and both AMD and Nvidia. As I sat and thought about the question I had to admit my current card is by far my favourite. A lowly single fan RTX3060 12 Gig that I bought (under duress, GTX1080 FE was dying) near the end of the GPU shortage. I paid MSRP for it as at that time most of the 3060's were at or near MSRP. This silly card, an entry level Asus Phoenix has an obscenely oversized single fan cooler with idk, 4 heatpipes? I've slid all the OC sliders all the way to the right excluding memory speed and it just goooeees, never breaking 65C and nearly silent. Hilariously the VRAM (by the chip specs) is underclocked from the factory to match the 3060 reference spec so I just bumped it up to the official chip spec. Performance wise this crappy little 3060 does just as well as the "OC" triple fan RGB laden monsters that Asus et al sell for near $100 more, giving me a solid 15 to 20% performance boost via overclocking. While I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone here (savvy buyers that we all are <.<) it gives me a certain satisfaction that this understated budget midranger does so well at 1440p. At least once a week I GPU shop, and I always end up shrugging and closing my browser realizing this little s***tbox gets 60-80fps in MSFS2020 high/ultra settings (DLSS of course) which is all I need any GPU to do, so why bother getting a better one? I hate that I like this thing so much....

I've had many cards over the decades, mostly high end and several reference boards, some factory overclocked triple fan monstrosities, and both AMD and Nvidia. As I sat and thought about the question I had to admit my current card is by far my favourite. A lowly single fan RTX3060 12 Gig that I bought (under duress, GTX1080 FE was dying) near the end of the GPU shortage. I paid MSRP for it as at that time most of the 3060's were at or near MSRP. This silly card, an entry level Asus Phoenix has an obscenely oversized single fan cooler with idk, 4 heatpipes? I've slid all the OC sliders all the way to the right excluding memory speed and it just goooeees, never breaking 65C and nearly silent. Hilariously the VRAM (by the chip specs) is underclocked from the factory to match the 3060 reference spec so I just bumped it up to the official chip spec. Performance wise this crappy little 3060 does just as well as the "OC" triple fan RGB laden monsters that Asus et al sell for near $100 more, giving me a solid 15 to 20% performance boost via overclocking. While I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone here (savvy buyers that we all are <.<) it gives me a certain satisfaction that this understated budget midranger does so well at 1440p. At least once a week I GPU shop, and I always end up shrugging and closing my browser realizing this little s***tbox gets 60-80fps in MSFS2020 high/ultra settings (DLSS of course) which is all I need any GPU to do, so why bother getting a better one? I hate that I like this thing so much....
I think the card I liked the look of best is the first one I ever bought with my own money, an Asus V7100 pro GeForce 2 MX400 64mb. Sure it's old, and lacking all the fancy decals, cooling, etcetera, but I always loved how clean it looked and I always liked the stupid little holographic sticker on the fan. Favorite to use? Probably my old Radeon HD 7870xt or GeForce GTS 250 (they were actually used together for a while with the 250 handling physx in games). I got both for a great price, the GTS 250 was 50 bucks in early 2010,and the 7870 XT was sold to me for 60 with a broken fan in 2013. The fan was easy to find a replacement for and I think the powercolor myst 7870 pcs+ (7870 XT) is probably my second favorite card for looks, and I liked the box art. The GTS 250 made an awesome spare card until a few years ago, I left it in a work computer when I quit, I regret leaving that behind now.

s-l960.webp

51CmbHGRKUL.jpg

Reactions: Order 66
What the cards looked like never meant anything to me. Its only in the last few years that all the cases have tempered glass panels that it really matters what card looks like. And really only then if you have a vertical GPU mount as who cares if you have RGB fans if its facing downwards - all mine do is illuminate the PSU shroud.
I agree with you there. That's why I always tell people to choose their cards by spec and price instead of by brand and model. I've owned more XFX cards in my life than anything else because they tend to be cheaper. The reason that they tend to be cheaper is that they don't throw all of the useless frills on their cards like oversized coolers that do nothing (although their coolers aren't exactly small) and tonnes of RGB lighting. They also don't spend tonnes of cash on advertising like ASUS does. Hell, the only real reason that I have an ASRock Phantom Gaming card (with all of the RGB that comes with it) is because it was an open-box special at Newegg.ca which made it the equivalent of $850USD (even cheaper than an RX 7900 XT). It was actually that deal that can still be seen in some places.

There was only the one card and I bought it back in the middle of August but I saw the same ad advertising my card on gamesradar.com on November 7th. I chuckled to myself, knowing that the card had been sold long ago. I knew that there weren't any others because several of my friends wanted the same thing and watched Newegg, but there was never another one.
In that regard, latest card is best looking... My Asus RTX 2070 Super just had one rgb strip and I couldn't control it. At least I have some control over new one, though would be nice if it had more than one rgb zone, as I could have more colors on it without using rainbow color scheme:

tvhmbUq.jpg

Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT OC 20gb
Oooo, that's PURDY! Red Devils have always looked great.
Performance: I assume everyone would say latest card they had as why upgrade if it doesn't give better?

I never bought top range card before as I see them as too expensive... and short lived at top...
Yeah, me neither. I always looked for high-end with good value. Now, during the mining craze, such a card didn't exist but somehow, I manage to get "lucky" (I put it in quotes because lucky is a relative term). I somehow came across an RX 6800 XT reference model brand-new, long after I thought the reference models weren't available anymore for $1,700CAD with tax and shipping. To put that into perspective, the cheapest RX 6800 XT that I could get in stores or from Newegg at the time was $2,200CAD plus tax. So, as bad as it was, it was possibly the best deal on a high-end card during the craze.
better to buy lower lvl. 7900xt highest I have bought... the XTX was out of stock already... it was the first day card was for sale... was lucky to get the one I have now.
I couldn't agree more. The RX 7900 XT is more than enough and it's what I would've chosen if not for the deal I found on the XTX. I've seen the writing on the wall and AI is going to make GPUs very expensive pretty soon and I wanted a card to "ride out the storm" if you will. ;)(y)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS