What IT Certifiications should i persue? (20 y/o, no certifications)

oscardr14

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hey guys,

I've been trying to do some research regarding IT Certifications that are good for resumes and such, and have gotten overwhelmed with the amount of certifications there actually are.

I'm 20 y/o working IT for a large company in my town (Got lucky), But i want to pursue a more concrete knowledge base for working with Computers and IT in general. I am really into the hardware side of things, mainly laptops, but and wanting to get a little more into the software side of IT. Was looking for suggestions and people with personal experience that people would have, and where to get started on expanding my knowledge for future endeavors.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a Network Engineer then CompTIA is what you're looking for. If you want to build general purpose applications in languages such as Java, Kotlin, Haskell (Pretty much the same) Oracle certification is for you. Then there are MCSD and MTA certifications and other certifications such as IEEE CS Exam or PROXOR. But again, it depends on what you want to do.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ask the company you work for what kind of stuff they want to see. you got a good resource there for inside info.

IT is the CompTia line of certs. A+ then Net+ and then on to security and network engineer type certs. i'm taking classes for the A+ and Net + right now and the A+ is nothing new i don't already know from years of working with computers. easy place to start. all things windows related and then basic hardware knowledge. though it focuses on win 7/8 as win 10 is not on the test yet, though it will be soon from what i hear.

Net+ is a bunch of vocabulary to learn and tons of reading to get it all in. but overall not that hard just rather boring to sit and read/study. not through with the course yet but so far there's lots of obselete/replaced stuff talked about that's on the test. seems that one needs an update as well.

I got a utube video waiting to watch, pissing on an IT career. As much as I like the field, have an inkling feeling more of IT jobs are temp/contract, OK for single people but unsuitable for stability, starting a family etc, this is in the U.S. where companies increasingly outsource the IT an any/all backroom functions. Overseas maybe better.

Mar 16, 2019
All depends on what you want your career to be and maybe a factor or two depending on your current job. A+ has been the known 1st cert to kick off and IT career. Past that which everyone should know majority what the A+ offers, is up to you as you can go into Network+, Security+, Cloud+ etc.. Not to mention Microsoft and Cisco certs.

Reactions: AtkinsFriendly

AtkinsFriendly

Reputable
May 26, 2015
Like everyone else said, there are certs for everything and it all depends on what you want to do. Like what Zokrin said, getting A+ is a default starter cert for any IT pro.

I started off like you, right out of HS got my A+ and was lucky to get into a large IT company in my town. From there I went straight for Cisco Certs as I knew I want to be an NE. Those certs there did more than any 4 year of college could IMO.