What kind of graphics performance can I expect from an OC'd 4790k?

nathanbrotherbob

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Long story short, I will be purchasing the components for a build I'm doing in the near future, but I can't quite afford the GPU that I want yet. Therefore, I'm thinking of just buying the everything else I need, and trying to function on a graphics card-less system for a month or two. My specs will be a reasonably OC'd 4790k and well as 2x8gb of 1866mhz RAM. What kind of graphics performance do you think I can expect out of that? Is it too much to expect to be able to play Dota 2 at close to max/high settings at 1080p, while maintaining a stable 60FPS? If anyone reading this has personal experience with using the 4790k's iGPU for gaming, feel free to chime in! I don't know what to expect!

Solution
Doubtful, in fact, probably not even possible. The iGPU HD 4600 graphics are marginally better than the HD 4000 graphics were and that's extremely poor for anything beyond browsing the web and maybe children's games. Some very low intensity games might be ok but for the most part you're going to be a no go on gaming with that rig until you get a discrete card.
Doubtful, in fact, probably not even possible. The iGPU HD 4600 graphics are marginally better than the HD 4000 graphics were and that's extremely poor for anything beyond browsing the web and maybe children's games. Some very low intensity games might be ok but for the most part you're going to be a no go on gaming with that rig until you get a discrete card.

Solution

nathanbrotherbob

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Does overclocking your CPU even increase your iGPU performance?