[SOLVED] What kind of power cable connector should I be using?

HardDisk Woes

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
I've recently gotten my hands on a GTX970 which I want to install, but I know the SATA power cable used to power it in it's old PC was an 8 pin setup, but my PC only has a spare SATA power cable in a split 6+2 configuration.

Is it safe to use these together? They are basically wired together, the 2 split from the 6.
119061516_10158275132045073_3520373246159934563_o.jpg

Solution
This isn't a SATA power cable, it's PCI.

But yes, 6+2 is the 8 pin standard. You probably won't come across a mainstream PSU that is anything but a 6+2, it's just to allow people to remove the 2 in cases where only 6 pins are required.

This usage is precisely what they are used for.

Just make sure your PSU is actually adequate for the GPU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

But yes, 6+2 is the 8 pin standard. You probably won't come across a mainstream PSU that is anything but a 6+2, it's just to allow people to remove the 2 in cases where only 6 pins are required.

Reactions: HardDisk Woes
Solution

HardDisk Woes

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020

Thanks, I've had SATA on the brain of late, I knew I was going to get something wrong there :)

HardDisk Woes

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020

Ok, been trying to check my PSU details, but there's no sticker on it to give me it's details (it might be under the shield but I'm weary of removing that) and the manufactures website is a bit sketchy on the details while other owners of the same model seem to have had units with varying PSUs.

Is there any other way to find out what's providing the power for this thing, other then the old screwdriver to the shield route?