[SOLVED] what kind of power supply is best?

Jan 21, 2019
hi! i'd like to understand whats up with power supplies, on pc part picker there's a bunch of different sizes and i tried to check online some information about what the different sizes are about without finding anything.

i started a bduget mini itx build and im struggling to find a nice power supply that is gonna give me just enough for what i have

here's the link :
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DKNmZR

there's no graphics card in the build because i dont have the money right now but i would like to get one in the future eventually, can anyone explain to me the types of power supply sizes and which one is best?

thanks!

Solution
Size/ form factor - determined by case. ATX (some higher wattage ATX PSUs are longer) , SFX, SFX-L, TFX are common.

Wattage - determined by system components. How many watts does each of your components need/use + some safety factor.

Efficiency/Quality - the "80 Plus" certification system is the best way to determine this. Bronze<Silver<Gold<platinum<titanium. There's also components within the PSU and/or manufacturers that are better than others.

Modular = all cables coming out of the back of the PSU can be removed from the PSU.
Semi-modular = some cables are not removable, such as the 24 pin and EPS plugs that are always used anyway.
Non-modular = all cables are non-removable. Can result in many cables inside the case...

Phazoner

Distinguished
Each box has its own dedicated space for the PSU, Mini-ITX can require you to buy a Small Form Factor one (SFF) but a lot of them allow Full ATX (PS2) sized PSUs or can sacrifice a HDD bay to put a Full ATX PSU instead of a SFF. The website of the selected box has to describe the size of the PSUs it can handle. If it is for SFF PSUs, any of them should fit. If it allows Full ATX ones, the long of the PSU can be a limiting factor and should also be adviced.

Max is 220mm for the ATX PSU.

This is good and will fit with no problem.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $59.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-04 11:45 EST-0500

Size/ form factor - determined by case. ATX (some higher wattage ATX PSUs are longer) , SFX, SFX-L, TFX are common.

Wattage - determined by system components. How many watts does each of your components need/use + some safety factor.

Efficiency/Quality - the "80 Plus" certification system is the best way to determine this. Bronze<Silver<Gold<platinum<titanium. There's also components within the PSU and/or manufacturers that are better than others.

Modular = all cables coming out of the back of the PSU can be removed from the PSU.
Semi-modular = some cables are not removable, such as the 24 pin and EPS plugs that are always used anyway.
Non-modular = all cables are non-removable. Can result in many cables inside the case that you don't need/ use (clutter)

Solution