[SOLVED] What kind of ram do i buy

Navimon

Reputable
Feb 16, 2021
Hi
I am not that good at computers so i am here to ask, Ty to anyone who reply
I just received a mini pc a few days ago and i checked on the task manager thingy
that i have 1 out of 2 slots of ram used. i kinda want to buy another ram soon cuz i am planning
on video editing and i only have 8gb ram 2133mhz. my specs are i5 6600 and igp hd 530

what ram should i buy? and i think pc ram and mini pc ram are different (correct me if im wrong). oh and are rams from laptop can be used on mini pc?

sorry for the many questions

Solution
i checked dx diag it said the system model is HP elitedesk 800 g3 dm 65w
It uses DDR4-2133/2400mhz SODIMM modules.
2 ram slots, max capacity 32GB.

https://support.hp.com/lv-en/document/c05371240#AbT2

So - get another 8gb DDR4 2133mhz SODIMM module.

IMG_4597.JPG
Feb 17, 2021
By mini pc are you referring to those Intel micro computers or a mATX motherboard?
If it is just a mATX motherboard (a standard motherboard but with smaller dimensions) then you can buy standard ddr4 RAM just like you would for a regular ATX MoBo.

As far as I am aware, for the mini PCs, you may need to purchase SO-DIMM memory. DIMM memory is just your standard ram for your desktop computer. So-dimm sticks are the ram modules found in laptops and, presumably, mini PC's.

I know this might not help. I wanted to give answering a shot and see how well I could help. If anyone would supplement my answer I am always happy to learn more :)

Reactions: Navimon
i only have 8gb ram 2133mhz. my specs are i5 6600 and igp hd 530
what ram should i buy? and i think pc ram and mini pc ram are different (correct me if im wrong). oh and are rams from laptop can be used on mini pc?
What mini pc? Does it have a brand or model name?
Or is it custom built pc? Then what model motherboard does it have?

You can find motherboard model name with cpu-z.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If you can make a photo of insides of your pc, that would help too.
(upload image to imgur.com and post link)

Navimon

Reputable
Feb 16, 2021
What mini pc? Does it have a brand or model name?
Or is it custom built pc? Then what model motherboard does it have?

You can find motherboard model name with cpu-z.

i checked dx diag it said the system model is HP elitedesk 800 g3 dm 65w
i think its custom built cuz when i search the hp elite desk the cpus there are way different from mine which is i5 6600
but the case do look alike

Hi
I am not that good at computers so i am here to ask, Ty to anyone who reply
I just received a mini pc a few days ago and i checked on the task manager thingy
that i have 1 out of 2 slots of ram used. i kinda want to buy another ram soon cuz i am planning
on video editing and i only have 8gb ram 2133mhz. my specs are i5 6600 and igp hd 530

sorry for the many questions
Remove the ram stick from the machine.
Write down the make and model.
Shop for an exact match.
That is not a guarantee it will work.