Question What Lenovo IdeaPad S340 Chipset/Storage downloads might I need after Windows 10 clean install?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I have a new Lenovo S340-15IWL laptop that I did a clean install on. This laptop sometimes might be referred to as just an IdeaPad S340. The "S340-15IWL" is the Intel Platform designation for the IdeaPad S340 line of laptops.

I am seeking insight on what downloads off the Lenovo Download Page might be important after a Clean Install of Windows 10.

My particular S340 is the 8th Gen Intel® Core i3-8145U Processor 2.1GHz version, with a 256gb m.2 pcie ssd. And after the clean install all appears to be OK but I'm just wondering if any of these downloads would be benificial to install.

I am most curious about would be the Chipset and Storage ones
  • Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) Driver
  • Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver
  • Chipset Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Cursor Speed Driver
and
  • Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) Driver
Below is the link to the download page for my laptop. Regretfully Lenovo is very vague on details on the download page of what benefit these downloads might have. They are only listed as "Recommended"...

Does a clean install of Windows install any of these by default, or a windows version of them?

Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer.

Last edited:
Does a clean install of Windows install any of these by default, or a windows version of them?

No. You need to go to the Lenovo's website and manually download all the OEM chipset drivers, including (DPTF), firmware, display and video graphics/VGA, as well as Audio, Wireless LAN etc.

I don't think Intel Management Engine Interface might be necessary. Do you have the latest BIOS installed ? What all system drivers did you actually install after doing a CLEAN install of the OS ?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
No. You need to go to the Lenovo's website and manually download all the OEM chipset drivers, including (DPTF), firmware, display and video graphics/VGA, as well as Audio, Wireless LAN etc.

I don't think Intel Management Engine Interface might be necessary. Do you have the latest BIOS installed ? What all system drivers did you actually install after doing a CLEAN install of the OS ?
Off the Lenovo download page...
I have installed 2 BIOS updates in the past month
I did install IRST driver

But after installing the IRST driver I started to wonder if that was the right move. As I remember installing that for HDD's in past, and I have an SSD.

That's all so far off the download page.

Other than that I installed Lenovo Vantage from the MS Store.

So far all that I know of seems to work. I am missing the Function key icons that pop up when you use them.

In fact the WiFi driver that windows installed seems faster than when I had the OEM one installed for about 3 weeks.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I do not ever install anything "just because" after a clean install. One should monitor for problems, and address those that occur.

Over the last several years most device manufacturers have become a lot better about supplying Microsoft with the most up-to-date drivers for their components on a timely basis. Some, however, have not.

Intel seems to be churning out driver updates far faster than they're supplying same to either Microsoft or the various computer OEMs that use their components. If you know you have Intel components in your system I do recommend installing the Intel Driver & Support Assistant to keep up to date.

The days of needing to worry about having virtually every driver a given system might need when clean installing Windows 10 are long past.