Question What Level of Confidence do Comprehensive Hardware Diagnostics Give with Respect to Computer Stability?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I'm wondering if a computer passes a comprehensive set of hardware diagnostics like PC Doctor or the proprietary Apple diagnostics available at the Apple Store how confident you can be that the computer in question is totally stable. Do some conditions slip by the diagnostics sometimes? Is the only sure-fire way to determine stability to use the computer in question for prolonged periods of time? I understand memory errors sometimes are so intermittent they only pop up every 24-48 hours so this is obviously relevant. How about all the other components?
Thanks!

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@USAFRet Are you talking about the PC Doctor Toolbox full diagnostic scan? Isn't the point to bring a system to its knees with the diagnostics testing the various components? I'm not referring to the other functions of the PC Doctor Toolbox software just the hardware diagnostic component. And then there's this guy for technicians that appears to be the same type of tool. IIRC a while back one of the major OEMs actually used PC Doctor for their built in diagnostic.

But even if you are talking about the PC Doctor diagnostics, how about the other players in the scene including Apple's proprietary diagnostic and all the OEM diagnostics; do they offer confidence in determining if a system stable or not? Or is the only way to determine that through long-term usage?

USAFRet

Titan
@USAFRet Are you talking about the PC Doctor Toolbox full diagnostic scan? Isn't the point to bring a system to its knees with the diagnostics testing the various components? I'm not referring to the other functions of the PC Doctor Toolbox software just the hardware diagnostic component. And then there's this guy for technicians that appears to be the same type of tool. IIRC a while back one of the major OEMs actually used PC Doctor for their built in diagnostic.

But even if you are talking about the PC Doctor diagnostics, how about the other players in the scene including Apple's proprietary diagnostic and all the OEM diagnostics; do they offer confidence in determining if a system stable or not? Or is the only way to determine that through long-term usage?
A few years ago, a friend of mine bought a medium-low level laptop.

Upon turning it on, it was literally unusable for a full hour.
Why? The competing 'PC doctor' and diagnosing tools stepping all over each other doing their scans.

A full wipe and reinstall of the OS sans junkware....like magic, all was well.

I've seen those things report a brand new system as having major hardware issues. Literally brand new from the store.

I have zero confidence in the quality of their reporting, good or bad.

No opinion on the Apple product...never used it. (have no Apple devices)