Question What M.2 type SSD should I buy?

edddyyysss

Honorable
Feb 22, 2014
Hi there,

My current laptop model/name - ASUS Rog GL702VT

If my research is correct this laptop has NVME PCLE SSD slot.

I am looking to buy M.2. type SSD.

My question is, what brand (Samsung, Kingston, etc.) should I get? Also, I am not sure if I should take out current HDD (which is slow) and use it as an external drive only.

What are your suggestions?

Regards,
E

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Are you ever going to write large files from memory or a faster SSD? If not, I would recommend going for a cheaper, higher capacity drive. It sounds like you're going for 500GB-class, so the 660p isn't ideal, and it's the same for the Crucial P1. They use slower flash, so they need more of it to get efficient performance. If you wanted to move up to 1TB (~$110), then either of those drives would be great.

The Kingston A1000, HP EX920, and ADATA XPG SX8200 are all good choices within a few dollars of each other. The 970 EVO is a great part, but it's almost twice as expensive.

Pretty much every NVMe drive uses the same form factor (M.2 2280). Some can get pretty hot, as they're very compact. This is not an issue unless you've got a very I/O intensive workload, and it's generally not a threat to drive health. It's not really something to worry about.

D

Deleted member 14196

The Kingston and adata are horrible choices just look up all the problem people are having with adata SSDs. Stick with crucial or Samsung preferably. Adata and Kingston should be avoided like the cancer they are. Garbage

Reactions: popatim

Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
Lol. Just look at this forum on how many problems people are having with their adata SSDs! No way. Don’t believe everything you see on television

Samsung or go home
What's the issue with these drives? I can't find many threads about it.
Mine's fine but is only slightly slower than it was initially. (From 3200 R down to 2900 R)

Apr 22, 2019
Samsung 860 EVO is an extra-decent SSD I've used so far. It writes at up to 520MB/s. Probably won't burn a hole in your wallet if you have a fit budget around $60. Hopefully, it was able to boost my adobe which ran pretty much shabby before & the games don't seem to stutter for now. I think the capacity ranges from 250-2TB. Get a quick overview of the SSD variant here. And yes, it's better to use your slower HDD as an external hard drive. Also, HDDs have lesser lifespan relative to SDD.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Samsung 860 EVO is an extra-decent SSD I've used so far. It writes at up to 520MB/s. Probably won't burn a hole in your wallet if you have a fit budget around $60. Hopefully, it was able to boost my adobe which ran pretty much shabby before & the games don't seem to stutter for now. I think the capacity ranges from 250-2TB. Get a quick overview of the SSD variant here. And yes, it's better to use your slower HDD as an external hard drive. Also, HDDs have lesser lifespan relative to SDD.

Good SSDs, but they are SATA, so not idea for a NVMe m.2 slot as you can get much more performance.

D

Deleted member 14196

What's the issue with these drives? I can't find many threads about it.
Mine's fine but is only slightly slower than it was initially. (From 3200 R down to 2900 R)

just look and see

https://forums.tomshardware.com/search/120422/?q=adata+ssd&o=relevance

i've had SSDs for years, SATA ones and they don't have any speed issues, not even now. The fact that your drive is getting slower is a problem you should not have. Also ADATA tend to wear out more quickly than Samsung or Crucial SSDs, any kind, nvme, sata, you name it. You may save A FEW dollars at purchase, but you sacrifice drive life, quality AND performance in doing so. So, is it worth it? LOL, not to me. I need long lasting performance, durability and reliability thank you very much.

If you guys still want to buy them, have at it. I guess we will see you around these parts when you need help.

Reactions: Jff007

Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
just look and see

https://forums.tomshardware.com/search/120422/?q=adata+ssd&o=relevance

i've had SSDs for years, SATA ones and they don't have any speed issues, not even now. The fact that your drive is getting slower is a problem you should not have. Also ADATA tend to wear out more quickly than Samsung or Crucial SSDs, any kind, nvme, sata, you name it. You may save A FEW dollars at purchase, but you sacrifice drive life, quality AND performance in doing so. So, is it worth it? LOL, not to me. I need long lasting performance, durability and reliability thank you very much.

If you guys still want to buy them, have at it. I guess we will see you around these parts when you need help.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but that search mainly turns up other drives and not the one that was mentioned. The only posts mentioning the pro variant are users who are getting slow speeds with smaller drives--something that happens even with Samsung.

As for the performance drop, that's also common with Samsung's (at least in my experience) when you fill them up past a certain point.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
I don't want to derail this thread too much, but that search mainly turns up other drives and not the one that was mentioned. The only posts mentioning the pro variant are users who are getting slow speeds with smaller drives--something that happens even with Samsung.

As for the performance drop, that's also common with Samsung's (at least in my experience) when you fill them up past a certain point.

Yep happens on all SSDs when they get full up.

Reactions: Jff007

Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
Thanks guys for all your replies!

Now I am doing research on Samsung 970 vs 860 vs 960 not sure which one should I get..
Budget and size would be the biggest discrening factors (other than the difference between SATA and NVMe).
If budget is more your concern, you can get the 960 for cheaper, and with more space. If raw speed is a concern (depends on what type of world and use case you need), go with the 970 or the 970 Evo Plus or Pro.

USAFRet

Titan
Budget and size would be the biggest discrening factors (other than the difference between SATA and NVMe).
If budget is more your concern, you can get the 960 for cheaper, and with more space. If raw speed is a concern (depends on what type of world and use case you need), go with the 970 or the 970 Evo Plus or Pro.
The 960 is the same tech as the 970..both NVMe. The 960 is just the older version.
The SATA III 860 EVO is significantly cheaper per GB.

All 500GB:

NVMe:

970 EVO
$150
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J

970 EVO PLUS
$127
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7Q21N7

960 EVO
$185
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E500BW/dp/B01M20VBU7

(the 960 is more expensive because it is a discontinued model)

SATA III

860 EVO
$90
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078218TWQ/ref=twister_B0797N5GWN

edddyyysss

Honorable
Feb 22, 2014
There are two models:

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 PCIE MZ-V7S500BW (€121.99 or $136)

and

SAMSUNG 970 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIE MZ-V7E500BW (€129.00 or $143)

If am correct the only difference is speed right?

@USAFRet for me 500GB will be enough. Most of the time I use my laptop for web browsing, some software, file transfer.. it's gaming laptop though, but I don't game.

And the model for the laptop is "GL702VT" and based on the website https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/upgrade-guide-rog-strix-gl702/ it explains that it has 'M.2 SSD' slot. I haven't opened the case but hopefully there is M.2 slot.