Question What memory should I use with the Ryzen 9 5900X?

Nov 23, 2020
Hey there,

I’ve been doing some research on RAM, and I’ve seen quite a few conflicting bits of information—I’ve read that the AM4 socket doesn’t support 4 channels of memory, but this doesn’t make sense (as my mobo has an AM4 socket but 4 slots for memory).

Another thing I’m a little confused about is what speed I should be getting; on AMD’s website, it lists the “System Memory Specification” as “up to 3200MHz”—does this mean I wouldn’t see any performance gains from 3600MHz?

For reference, here’s the RAM I was looking at purchasing:
https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Tident-64GB-64GTZNC-4X16GB/dp/B07VRMTVH7

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
64 GB of RAM? That's a lot of Chrome tabs.

With Ryzen's FCLCK, most AM4 motherboards would only allow you to OC up to 3600MHz with a higher voltage.

You won't really see any difference between 3200 and 3600 MHz when gaming. What you want to focus on is the casL timings. 16 is ok, but if you can find one that can run 14 or 15 casL -- even better.

You can also refer to 1usmus' Ryzen DRAM Calculator to achieve tighter timings.

My 16 core 3950X is running with a Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB, 3200 MHz 16-18-18 casL
OVERLOCKED TO: 3600 MHz, 14-14-14-31

Nov 23, 2020
64 GB of RAM? That's a lot of Chrome tabs.

With Ryzen's FCLCK, most AM4 motherboards would only allow you to OC up to 3600MHz with a higher voltage.

You won't really see any difference between 3200 and 3600 MHz when gaming. What you want to focus on is the casL timings. 16 is ok, but if you can find one that can run 14 or 15 casL -- even better.

You can also refer to 1usmus' Ryzen DRAM Calculator to achieve tighter timings.

My 16 core 3950X is running with a Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB, 3200 MHz 16-18-18 casL
OVERLOCKED TO: 3600 MHz, 14-14-14-31

So, if I’m understanding this correctly, I would need to overclock the CPU to get the full effect of the 3600MHz RAM?

Also, would it be better to buy 14CL RAM or to buy 16CL and overclock it to 14CL? From what I can tell, 14CL is ridiculously expensive, even for 3200MHz.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first build (and I plan to keep it for well over a decade, hence why I’m opting for 64GB) and I want to make sure I get it right :)

Hey there,

I’ve been doing some research on RAM, and I’ve seen quite a few conflicting bits of information—I’ve read that the AM4 socket doesn’t support 4 channels of memory, but this doesn’t make sense (as my mobo has an AM4 socket but 4 slots for memory).

Another thing I’m a little confused about is what speed I should be getting; on AMD’s website, it lists the “System Memory Specification” as “up to 3200MHz”—does this mean I wouldn’t see any performance gains from 3600MHz?

For reference, here’s the RAM I was looking at purchasing:
https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Tident-64GB-64GTZNC-4X16GB/dp/B07VRMTVH7

Ryzen 9 5900X officially supports 3200Mhz and you may get 3600MHz but no guarantee. Very little performance gains when gaming for 3200MHz v 3600MHz.
This will depend on the strength of the IMC on your chip. To get to the higher OC will require Bios intervention for DRAM Timing control and DRAM voltage. OC RAM are not simple Plug and Play.

Performance OC RAM are faster with low Latency but cost more. Generally the higher the frequency the higher the Latency.
You need to know the difference between QUAD channel and having four RAM slots and that AMD does not support quad channel is not true.

Your selection of RAM should be a single kit the size and frequency you need selected from the MB QVL. That way you know they have been tested and known to work.

Why do you need 64GB?

Ryzen 9 5900X officially supports 3200Mhz and you may get 3600MHz but no guarantee. Very little performance gains when gaming for 3200MHz v 3600MHz.
This will depend on the strength of the IMC on your chip. To get to the higher OC will require Bios intervention for DRAM Timing control and DRAM voltage. OC RAM are not simple Plug and Play.

Performance OC RAM are faster with low Latency but cost more. Generally the higher the frequency the higher the Latency.
You need to know the difference between QUAD channel and having four RAM slots and that AMD does not support quad channel is not true.

Your selection of RAM should be a single kit the size and frequency you need selected from the MB QVL. That way you know they have been tested and known to work.

Why do you need 64GB?
Since when did Ryzen support quad channel memory??

Nov 23, 2020

Why do you need 64GB?

Great information, thanks!

I’m planning to keep this computer for a while, and I’m going to end up using it for programming/development as well as gaming. I figured 64GB would be plenty to do both at the same time, with extra to spare (I know it might be a little overkill, but I’d imagine 32GB sounded overkill a decade ago, too).

With more research you will find the answer and please don't hijack this thread. Ask in your own thread.

I already know the answer. I just didn't want the OP or anyone else to think that Ryzen is actually a quad channel memory platform as you stated in your post. Yes, it can use 4 DIMMs in dual channel configuration, but it's not quad channel mode. And yes, you should buy a quad channel RAM kit to ensure compatibility.

Reactions: ecirontog
So you are trying to hijack the thread and no help to the OP from you.

At least get it right. NOWHERE did I say that Ryzen is a quad channel platform. I merely stated: "that AMD does not support quad channel is not true".
You now maintain you know the answer when you don't,
I don't think the OP or anyone would come to your conclusion and no doubt you will have an answer when the truth is revealed,

YES AMD does support Quad channel with TRX40 Supporting AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper processors.

OFC you have to have the right Motherboard with the correct chipset and Quad channel architecture,
There are four boards I know of:

1. ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme
  2. GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS XTREME
  3. MSI Creator TRX40
  4. ASRock TRX40 Taichi

Nov 23, 2020
So you are trying to hijack the thread and no help to the OP from you.

At least get it right. NOWHERE did I say that Ryzen is a quad channel platform. I merely stated: "that AMD does not support quad channel is not true".
You now maintain you know the answer when you don't,
I don't think the OP or anyone would come to your conclusion and no doubt you will have an answer when the truth is revealed,

YES AMD does support Quad channel with TRX40 Supporting AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper processors.

OFC you have to have the right Motherboard with the correct chipset and Quad channel architecture,
There are four boards I know of:

1. ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme
  2. GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS XTREME
  3. MSI Creator TRX40
  4. ASRock TRX40 Taichi

I think drivin just misread what you said in your comment, seeing as this thread is about the Ryzen 9 5900X. No harm done :)

So should I go for 3200MHz then? I’m guessing just about any RAM can be overclocked, but is G.Skill Trident Z Neo good for this (I really like the look of the RAM, and I know they’re reputable :) )

I think drivin just misread what you said in your comment, seeing as this thread is about the Ryzen 9 5900X. No harm done :)

So should I go for 3200MHz then? I’m guessing just about any RAM can be overclocked, but is G.Skill Trident Z Neo good for this (I really like the look of the RAM, and I know they’re reputable :) )

Well he has to own his mistake for out of context remarks and misquoting.

As with any OC RAM you try, Just make sure you can return them to the vendor if they don't work.
I have installed numerous G. Skill OC RAM for clients and the kit you have listed should work well however it may require Bios intervention to get them to work at their rated frequency.

It depends on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) strength if the CPU can handle 64GB (4x16) at 3600MHz which is a tall ask.
OC RAM are not simple Plug and Play and you may need the DRAM Calculator to determine both Primary and Secondary timings.

The last thing to mention is when choosing a kit of RAM, Make sure they are listed on the MB QVL to ensure they have been tested and known to work.
List the MB you are using and I'll check?

Nov 23, 2020
Well he has to own his mistake for out of context remarks and misquoting.

As with any OC RAM you try, Just make sure you can return them to the vendor if they don't work.
I have installed numerous G. Skill OC RAM for clients and the kit you have listed should work well however it may require Bios intervention to get them to work at their rated frequency.

It depends on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) strength if the CPU can handle 64GB (4x16) at 3600MHz which is a tall ask.
OC RAM are not simple Plug and Play and you may need the DRAM Calculator to determine both Primary and Secondary timings.

The last thing to mention is when choosing a kit of RAM, Make sure they are listed on the MB QVL to ensure they have been tested and known to work.
List the MB you are using and I'll check?

Awesome, thanks. I’ll most likely be getting the ASUS TUF Gaming x570-Plus (WIFI) ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Also, I looked on AMD’s website, and found this (for Zen 2, but I’d imagine the same would apply to Zen 3):
https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks. I’ll most likely be getting the ASUS TUF Gaming x570-Plus (WIFI) ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Also, I looked on AMD’s website, and found this (for Zen 2, but I’d imagine the same would apply to Zen 3):
https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen

Here is your MB QVL for the 5000 series Ryzen: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf

There are 3 listings for G,Skill 64GB (4x16) at 3600MHz. They have Samsung b-die chips and have been tested.
I could not find the exact same listings on the AMD list and that maybe because the AMD list is not up to date.

Jan 20, 2021
I dont want to take over this older topic but I have the same question about the Ryzen 5900x. I want to but this cpu and Im looking for the best RAM. My thoughts are going to the Corsair 32GB DDR4-3600 but ive read about the best MHz for the right CPU. Im quite new to building my own pc, but im opting for the Corsair as the main brand for most stuff because of RGB software and offcourse quality.
Can you give me advice if the RAM is good for tros CPU or I maybe I should consider different options?

Edit, i dont care alot about rgb, so if its not corsair id want the ram without RGB.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020
I dont want to take over this older topic but I have the same question about the Ryzen 5900x. I want to but this cpu and Im looking for the best RAM. My thoughts are going to the Corsair 32GB DDR4-3600 but ive read about the best MHz for the right CPU. Im quite new to building my own pc, but im opting for the Corsair as the main brand for most stuff because of RGB software and offcourse quality.
Can you give me advice if the RAM is good for tros CPU or I maybe I should consider different options?

Edit, i dont care alot about rgb, so if its not corsair id want the ram without RGB.

Thanks

Make sure it’s CL16 (or below, lower CAS Latency is better) and you’re all set :)

If you’re into overclocking, I know that Samsung B-Dies tend to be better at it; you can check if yours is here: https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

For the average user, though, it can be any die as long as it hits its advertised speeds/CL.

Jan 20, 2021
Allright, I dindt knew the CL matters that much.
Im looking at these too now, A 3200 with CL 16 and 3600 with CL 16. But the price difference is 100EU.
Do I need and want the higher Mhz or is the 3200 perfect for the CPU?

VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black

VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black

The higher the Mhz goes the higher the CL goes on the list. Im looking at this page;
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2K3600C16

Edit, if it does make a good difference I guess I want it, since im paying alot for the CPU and other parts allready,,
And, what if the 3600 is CL 18 and the 3200 CL 16, what is the best pick there..?

(Im overwhelmed )

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020
Im looking at these too now, A 3200 with CL 16 and 3600 with CL 16. But the price difference is 100EU.

The higher the Mhz goes the higher the CL goes on the list. Im looking at this page;
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2K3600C16

Edit, if it does make a good difference I guess I want it, since im paying alot for the CPU and other parts allready,,
And, what if the 3600 is CL 18 and the 3200 CL 16, what is the best pick there..?

(Im overwhelmed )

Thanks

Oh... wow, that’s a huge price difference. Honestly that RAM seems overpriced, I saw 64GB of G.Skill 3600MHz CL16 on Amazon for like $365, which would make 32GB ~$180 (or ~€150).

Here’s a link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newegg.com/amp/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861

Now, that kit does have RGB and as far as I’m aware you can’t control it with iCUE (which is really annoying), but it’s far cheaper. It’s likely that the kit you were looking at uses a B-Die, which are typically more expensive. I believe these use Hynix.

Personally, I would go with a different kit/different brand than the one you picked, or just stick with the 3200MHz and put the extra money towards a better GPU or something. Sure, you’ll lose out on some performance, but it won’t be too too much.

Nov 23, 2020

(Im overwhelmed )

Thanks

As for your edit, you can figure out the real world latency using this formula:

(CAS Latency * 2000) / (RAM Speed in MHz)

Here’s some real world latencies (lower is better):
3200 CL16: 10
3200 CL14: 8.75
3600 CL18: 10
3600 CL16: 8.889
3600 CL14: 7.778

As you can see, 3200 CL16 is basically exactly the same as 3600 CL18. I would look up in-game tests on YouTube to see real world comparisons of the two, though.

3600 CL16 and 3200 CL14 are the best speeds you can get without spending exorbitant amounts of money on RAM.