What monitor should I get for 980 sli

MaxChasis

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hey, I bought a 980 for a 1080, which I was told would be enough for games like GTA 5, which is lies, I can't have Msaa on max or the distance high, Among other settings that have to be turned to very high or high instead of ulra. So I bought another 980 just now (also was a great deal for Arkham knight and whitcher in bundle). So my question is should I upgrade to a 1440p 14hz or what is your suggestion? Also side question, I get screen tearing on a lot of games, like GTA 5, wolfenstein, far cry 4 with a single 980. What would be the cause of that. I turn on adaptive vsync and it seems to fix it, but then a little stuttering happens. That's on a 1080p 60 fps monitor. My specs are
I5 4690k
Msi gaming 5 mobo
Corsair vengeance 2x4gbs of ram
750w Seasonic psu gold rated
Also is my psu good enough for 980 sli thanks

Solution
Nothing can max out GTA V in 1080. But that is not maxed either, that is beyond max. All those fancy settings are above Ultra. Screen tearing will happen because your GPU is not in sync with your monitor, when it is, you get no screen tearing. Screen tearing is extremely overexaggerate, and I can barely notice it, and I get that others can, but it really is a first world problem. The fix is V-sync, G-sync, Free-sync. All of these will introduce input lag, some more than others.

The stuttering is most likely caused by your RAM, which can be bottle necking your system. Once you run out of RAM, which a lot of recent games can on just 8 GB, it will be forced to use your hard drive instead, or even an SSD, which is about 100 times slower...
Nothing can max out GTA V in 1080. But that is not maxed either, that is beyond max. All those fancy settings are above Ultra. Screen tearing will happen because your GPU is not in sync with your monitor, when it is, you get no screen tearing. Screen tearing is extremely overexaggerate, and I can barely notice it, and I get that others can, but it really is a first world problem. The fix is V-sync, G-sync, Free-sync. All of these will introduce input lag, some more than others.

The stuttering is most likely caused by your RAM, which can be bottle necking your system. Once you run out of RAM, which a lot of recent games can on just 8 GB, it will be forced to use your hard drive instead, or even an SSD, which is about 100 times slower than RAM.

Your PSU is good enough for GTX 980 in SLI. You may need to buy an adapter for it to work, because you didn't say what model it is. Before recommending you a new monitor, please answer these:

High or low refresh rate:
High or low response time:
Is color & contrast important:
What will you be doing with your new monitor:
What size do you want it to be:
How far away do you sit:

Solution

MaxChasis

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Sorry about that, didn't mean to click choose solution.
High or low refresh rate: I probably want to have a high refresh like 144hz, because from what I understand i will get screen tearing if my fps is over the 60fps I have right now, also Yes it is extremely bad when I get, unplayable , about 7 diagonal lines across the screen that give a overlapping feeling
High or low response time: I am not a big tech person, so this really doesn't mean anything to me, but I am mainly gaming and Internet use for this
Is color & contrast important: I watch movies and game, mainly single player games (I built the computer for witcher 3), but sometimes battlefield or cod
What will you be doing with your new monitor: gaming, some movies(not very often, Internet use
What size do you want it to be:I have a 1080p 27 inch right now and it is pretty much what I like, maybe a little bigger idk
Thanks
How far away do you sit: 4-6 feet

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Your choices for WQHD gaming monitors that have G-Sync, which will eliminate most of the stuttering and screen tearing you are experiencing. And yes, G-Sync is superor to AMD's FreeSync in every way except price:

1) Asus ROG Swift PG278Q TN panel (8-bit), 2560 x 1440, G-Sync, ULMB (120Hz max), 3D Vision, 144Hz, 1ms response time

2) Acer Predator XB270HU AHVA panel (IPS-like) 2560 x 1440, G-Sync, ULMB (100Hz max), 144Hz, 4ms response time

If you want to game in 4K resolution; you only have one choice right now:

1) Acer XB280HK TN panel (8-bit +HiFRC), 3840 x 2160, G-Sync, 60Hz, 1ms response time

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Read his original post - that means NO TV! TVs are not ideal for PC gaming. Screen tearing and limited refresh rate make them the worst choice of all. TVs are fine for game console fanboys, but not for PC fanboys :D