What monitor to buy?

Alucard_ggz

Reputable
Jun 4, 2017
Hello community. I have only one question, and since im poor while prices rise up very hard in my country im looking for a help from u to choose me best budget/preformance/colour monitor that there is on market. I cant tell u exact price im looking but some range up to 200e is a max.. :( Things i need are:

1. 1080p 24' 1ms 144hz G-Synch (priority if possible)
2. 1080p 24' 1-5ms or more 60-144hz (would be sad if i have to choose 2nd option)

Please be advised that i need cheapest out there, that can give me very good colours, and smooth animation on 1080p 24', i need that 1ms cuz im hardcore gamer that makes living from it, and i need that response time accurate. Im having gtx1070(EVGA) and i rly want to test those 144hz cuz i've been playing so far on crap 720p low bright 60hz monitor. Im sry for my bad english, i hope u understood me. Thanks all friends. :)

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think your goal is unrealistic, maybe try for a used monitor that someone is selling because they went up a size?

For a more specific answer, we'll need to know the country. Tax rates vary across the European union.

Basically the cheapest TN 24" panels with G-Sync start around 400. Cheap TN 144hz 24" monitors start at just over 200 on average. These won't have nice stands or very good color, but will meet your 1ms requirement.

For your entire list of requirements you would need an AHVA panel, which is pretty much only found on premium monitors with freesync or g-sync. G-sync adds about 100 minimum to the price tag of any monitor.

Alucard_ggz

Reputable
Jun 4, 2017

My country is Serbia. I know, it's unrealistic, even i dont know what i want anymore, going crazy.. :S
Just want to push my gpu to the limit and see more than 60fps on screen.
Tell me, will i have some tearing of stuttering if for exp i run 110fps on 144hz? Or myb if i run 200fps on 144hz? If i understood right, if i turn on V-Synch, i can push over 60fps but i will see only 60fps or my actually fps will be locked to 60fps? Im sry for bothering thou, thanks for quick answer. :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tearing will happen anytime the frame rate and refresh rate of the monitor don't match. The Monitor simply pulls whatever is in the frame buffer at the start of its refresh cycle.

Turning on V-sync with a 144hz monitor forces the GPU to always have a frame ready at the start of the monitor's refresh cycle. If your computer can't maintain 144 FPS it will either draw the same frame multiple times (Adaptive V-sync) or introducing tearing again (V-sync)

Freesync and G-sync hand control of the monitor's refresh rate over to the GPU and it selects the appropriate refresh rate to match the GPUs predicted output. It should never display tearing.

All forms of Sync introduce additional input lag, though Nvidia has done their best to optimize this by controlling the whole pipeline, and most of their high end monitors outperform many other monitors when it comes to input lag. I haven't been keeping up too much with freesync since the good options for AMD GPUs still aren't available at a reasonable price.

For best results for fast FPS gaming you should consider a monitor with ULMB. Getting rid of ghosting can be more useful then getting rid of tearing at high refresh rates.

Alucard_ggz

Reputable
Jun 4, 2017

Thanks for explaining that too me. Was a bit confused about that. :) Still, i would beg u to pop me out some links of good 1080p 144hz monitors if u can. ^_^

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Solution