What movie genre(s) bore you as you've matured?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
By no means do I mean you musn't like what I like because your young or old. These simply are the ones I grew out of, or am growing out of.

Comic Book/Superhero Movies (The pure amount of them just is absurd. At least when there were westerns by the dozen, they had better quality, just me probably)

Slasher Horror Movies ( Jason and Michael do not scare me, they are laughable at best, its just a good way to make money)

Raunchy Comedy (I'm not the most perfect minded person but yelling the F bomb sexually out so much just gets old)

The rest is good for me. I really like low budget dramas, big budget flops such as Mortal Engines that had great special effects and story but flopped hard at the box office. I also like the mid budget Resident Evil and Underworld movies. I miss the 80s and 90s action flicks, Rambo, Speed, of course the scifi back then like Terminator, Aliens,etc. Anyway what genres have you grown out of?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm starting to get over all the haunting movies being made. they were different and fun for a while but the fun has worn off the last few years.

all the superhero stuff has also gotten stale to me. but then disney has also killed many things i liked with too much of a good thing. star wars is another one they have beaten to death. never been a huge fan but enjoyed the movies, even the last few. but too much too quick keeps me away.

think i am just old but now the "hollywood is out of ideas" thing bothers me more now than it ever did before. just almost nothing coming out i want to spend the time watching. no genre is putting out anything new really and all the reboots are just sad really.

i also watch a lot of indi and low budget stuff. often great ideas and unique stories to enjoy. sure the production value is often terrible but at least i can come away saying "i'd like to see that done with a real budget cause the idea was awesome"

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
i'm starting to get over all the haunting movies being made. they were different and fun for a while but the fun has worn off the last few years.

all the superhero stuff has also gotten stale to me. but then disney has also killed many things i liked with too much of a good thing. star wars is another one they have beaten to death. never been a huge fan but enjoyed the movies, even the last few. but too much too quick keeps me away.

think i am just old but now the "hollywood is out of ideas" thing bothers me more now than it ever did before. just almost nothing coming out i want to spend the time watching. no genre is putting out anything new really and all the reboots are just sad really.

i also watch a lot of indi and low budget stuff. often great ideas and unique stories to enjoy. sure the production value is often terrible but at least i can come away saying "i'd like to see that done with a real budget cause the idea was awesome"

really gotta say everything you put down, i agree with!

g-unit1111

Titan
Yeah I have kind of got bored as hell with the raunchy comedy genre. I have loved movies like the Hangover and Super Troopers, but it's like raunchy comedy today has to be way too over the top and that's not really my thing.

I'm also getting seriously sick of all the sequels and remakes and reboots. While I do love Marvel movies and the MCU, it does get kind of old seeing the same thing. Which is why I thought Shang Chi was the breath of fresh air that franchise needed.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
didn't even think of the raunchy comedy movies. though i don't think i've really seen any since the american pie era. def right though, that are taking things well over the top to cover the lack of writing abilities

Wolfshadw

Titan
I think if there is one genre that I'm growing out of (please understand that there are several I was never "in"), it would be the "Found Footage" movies. I also agree that the sequels, remakes/reboots are getting far too tedious.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: COLGeek

g-unit1111

Titan
didn't even think of the raunchy comedy movies. though i don't think i've really seen any since the american pie era. def right though, that are taking things well over the top to cover the lack of writing abilities

Yeah I'm all for smart humor (like see: early Simpsons / Futurama) if it's done right. But the over the top raunchy stuff is getting rather stale, and a lot of movies reuse the same jokes over and over.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Yeah I have kind of got bored as hell with the raunchy comedy genre. I have loved movies like the Hangover and Super Troopers, but it's like raunchy comedy today has to be way too over the top and that's not really my thing.

I'm also getting seriously sick of all the sequels and remakes and reboots. While I do love Marvel movies and the MCU, it does get kind of old seeing the same thing. Which is why I thought Shang Chi was the breath of fresh air that franchise needed.

i see what you mean, however. Wit h the MCU or even DC's stuff its all copy and paste visually. No matter poor or good writing. the art looks the same, every damn time. I'm sick of new "blockbusters"....right now in a mid budget to low budget art house film any day over a 200 million dollar big budget visual nerdgasm. LOL. But I respect those who enjoy them.

g-unit1111

Titan
i see what you mean, however. Wit h the MCU or even DC's stuff its all copy and paste visually. No matter poor or good writing. the art looks the same, every damn time. I'm sick of new "blockbusters"....right now in a mid budget to low budget art house film any day over a 200 million dollar big budget visual nerdgasm. LOL. But I respect those who enjoy them.

I still like the MCU don't get me wrong. The DC EU however is what one would call a "cluster" and that's even with the Snyder Cut of Justice League.

The one thing though I will say is that Kevin Smith was right in that you can't have the art house films without the big budget films. Like Robert Downey Jr couldn't have made that movie where he played the judge without making Iron Man first. The two need each other to coexist.

Last edited by a moderator:

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
I still like the MCU don't get me wrong. The DC EU however is what one would call a "cluster" and that's even with the Snyder Cut of Justice League.

The one thing though I will say is that Kevin Smith was right in that you can't have the art house films without the big budget films. Like Robert Downey Jr couldn't have made that movie where he played the judge without making Iron Man first. The two need each other to coexist.

ehh i still see any marvel or dc movie as copy/paste no matter what...to each their own tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i laugh at myself for how often i have watched a movie totally for free and still feel jipped at the end of it. lol

more than anything i have been watching kids movies. the are just as repetitive and predictable but for some reason i feel good at the end. can't say that any other genres right now. bring on the cartoons!!!

Reactions: minnin90

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Watched The New Mutants tonight for a different looking comic book film....wasn't MCU nor DCEU...and Liked it a lot. Not sure the hate it got...i guess because it tried to be different and succeeded...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
amazon prime has a ton of them now and i have also been enjoying some saturday morning memories myself :)

the new mutants wasn't too bad, but it was way off the normal xmen story arc for sure.

i have been enjoying the netflix adult cartoons and wonder how long before they suffer the same burnout as the other stuff we talking about. but for now i loving the heck out of Big Mouth and their new show Inside Job.