[SOLVED] What part of my setup should I upgrade.

krssumday

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hey guys I was asking what part of my system I should upgrade or if I should upgrade at all.

My current system

xeon e3 1241 v3
Sli 1070's
Nvme 250 gb wd black
6tb hard drive
16 gb corsair dominator ram
corsair liquid cooler
fractal design c meshify
650 watt psu
Gigabyte motherboard
4k 60 fps monitor / 1440p ultrawide monitor 60 fps
I swap between two but right now I am using my 4k monitor, I am open to getting a higher refresh 1440p ultra wide though.

I'm stuck in a hard place right now, so currently I am not sure what i should upgrade. My budget is about $600 . If I shouldn't upgrade what games should buy , and I am also in need of a nice pc desk.

If your asking if there is anything wrong with my system, I would say , sort of ,but I gave up trying to figure it out since I don't play as much as used to. So for whatever reason my I notice my frame rate will be fine and then suddenly out of nowhere it will go and sit at 0 fps. I think it has something to do with mobo, but I have no idea at this point , its been so long.

My post is kind of all over the place, but essentially what part of my pc should I upgrade and why. Also if you think you have an idea on what my pc problem is , I am willing to try.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
To run GTX 1070's in SLI, you'd need a decent power supply that keeps that performing sufficiently. So which brand and model is it?

If you're running a high quality power supply already, then there is the poor-SLI optimisation issue in over 60% of the games you'll be playing. Most games are designed to perform a lot better with a single GPU configuration.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
To run GTX 1070's in SLI, you'd need a decent power supply that keeps that performing sufficiently. So which brand and model is it?

If you're running a high quality power supply already, then there is the poor-SLI optimisation issue in over 60% of the games you'll be playing. Most games are designed to perform a lot better with a single GPU configuration.

Reactions: krssumday
Solution

krssumday

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

My bad im running an Evga 750 GQ 80+ gold lmao,
Yeah i haven't played on my pc in a while.

But My gpu's aren't hitting the power threshold I think , but I might need to re run that test.

Also after testing my pc this week it seems, that the first two dimm slots are not operational , so i can only run my ram in single channel.

I remember putting the ram in the last two slots and having dual channel on my other motherboard before I got sli ,but that motherboard had it set up like that.

This motherboard on the other hand is 2 ,4 / 1,3 . I never bothered to check it seems, or either i forgot.

Also my gpu's are only running in 8x by 8x , so maybe I should consider a motherboard / cpu upgrade even if it wont benefit me that much in gaming?

If you have any ideas please give me some.

Also , yeah I was quite knowledgeable about sli ,before I got into it , but this problem seems to happen in the witcher 3 more than anything else, but I don't remember if it happened in any other game.

krssumday

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

Thanks for all you help, I went ahead and made my purchase.

I got a ryzen 2600 chip with a new mobo and some ddr4.

I was thinking about x299 chipset or the z3790/ z370 with a plx chip , the price of the motherboards I couldn't justify the price just to get 16x by 16x,

I was looking at $660 just for a 9600k with everything.
I ended up with $420 same build with ryzen 2600 , and a Division game.

I always wanted to a try a ryzen chip !
So thanks for the help anyway

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Sorry for not being able to help after, I didn't have a chance to visit the forums for a little bit. Glad you found the root of your problems and hopefully with your new build everything will work well. Made a good choice with the R5 2600.