[SOLVED] What parts do I upgrade to lower my CPU and Disk usage to increase the overall speed of my comp?

Aug 9, 2019
I don't have a whole lot of money, but my CPU and Disk usage gets dangerously high (for instance, my computer is epically slow when I run League of Legends and a Chrome webpage at the same time) and I would like to know which parts to upgrade to get the biggest bang for my buck? Also, I'm confused about how to tell if the parts I upgrade will be compatible.

Thanks for the help!

Here are my system specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
AMD FX-4350
Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-DS3P (CPU 1)

Graphics
VX238 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA)

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 (SATA )

Solution
Also, I'm just curious, but why is everyone on this thread so sure that my computer needs completely new parts? Is it really that bad?

There comes a point where putting more money into an old platform yields minimal results.

Putting in an FX-8350 may give a certain benefit, but not really that much. And it highly depends on your current motherboard and PSU, if it can utilize that CPU.

The FX-8350 is as far as you can go, without changing everything else.

kanewolf

Titan
There is not a good option that doesn't require you to replace CPU, RAM and motherboard all at once. You could try overclocking your existing CPU, but I wouldn't recommend spending any money on a quick upgrade. Save for the full replacement.

Aug 9, 2019
There is not a good option that doesn't require you to replace CPU, RAM and motherboard all at once. You could try overclocking your existing CPU, but I wouldn't recommend spending any money on a quick upgrade. Save for the full replacement.

Do you have any recommendations? Also, how do I know what is compatible?

CPU-wise... https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-10/support#support-cpu
But something like the FX-8350 is only worth considering if it's multi-thread performance where your FX-4350 is struggling. As others suggest it's not necessarily the best option in terms of upgrades.

As for the disk usage... while an SSD will speed up a lot of operations, especially booting to Windows, I'm wondering why your disk usage is so high in the first place. As far as I'm concerned high disk usage won't be reduced by a faster drive, it just means it'll do the same work but quicker. What does it say in Task Manager if you order disk usage by percentage?

cpike84

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Honestly, even a used SSD for like $30-40 would see a drastic increase in performance over any platter based hard drive. Install Windows 10 on it, your programs, maybe League, and then use your 1TB WD drive as storage.

Like the other's said, you're looking at all new core components beyond the SSD.

Aug 9, 2019
CPU-wise... https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-10/support#support-cpu
But something like the FX-8350 is only worth considering if it's multi-thread performance where your FX-4350 is struggling. As others suggest it's not necessarily the best option in terms of upgrades.

As for the disk usage... while an SSD will speed up a lot of operations, especially booting to Windows, I'm wondering why your disk usage is so high in the first place. As far as I'm concerned high disk usage won't be reduced by a faster drive, it just means it'll do the same work but quicker. What does it say in Task Manager if you order disk usage by percentage?

It usually just says league and then chrome, as well as some other background programs.

Also, I'm just curious, but why is everyone on this thread so sure that my computer needs completely new parts? Is it really that bad?

Is there a build that you recommend? You seem very knowledgeable and I'm not haha just wondering due to compatibility reasons and to spend the least amount of money. I would want something that I could upgrade later on though. I wouldn't want to have to complete a whole nother build again.

Thanks for the help!

USAFRet

Titan

There comes a point where putting more money into an old platform yields minimal results.

Putting in an FX-8350 may give a certain benefit, but not really that much. And it highly depends on your current motherboard and PSU, if it can utilize that CPU.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Aug 9, 2019

Ahh, I understand. So let's say I save my GPU and case, is there a build that you would recommend? I would probably be willing to spend 500-600$ total on a new processor, CPU and SSD. I will probably wait until DDR5 comes out to do anything about my RAM. Any suggestion builds?

crysis2

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
I don't have a whole lot of money, but my CPU and Disk usage gets dangerously high (for instance, my computer is epically slow when I run League of Legends and a Chrome webpage at the same time) and I would like to know which parts to upgrade to get the biggest bang for my buck? Also, I'm confused about how to tell if the parts I upgrade will be compatible.

Thanks for the help!

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
AMD FX-4350
Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM

Motherboard

Graphics
VX238 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Storage
what color is your WD HDD? i've seen people had problem with purple one which is not good for home usage!

Aug 6, 2019

Thanks for the help!

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
AMD FX-4350
Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM

Motherboard

Graphics
VX238 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Storage
Seeing your PC I see you got a decent little card there. So, I would recommend a new CPU and Motherboard (now if you want it cheap and used, get an old Z97 board with an i5 or i7 in which case you can re use your ram, or if you got money to spend upgrade to the new Ryzen 3rd gen chips) Also add an SSD.

Your motherboard is not a good one for a FX-8xxx processor.

Past that, what you get with a FX-6 or FX-8 is more cores, but the performance of each core is largely unchanged.
Most games will want faster cores
FX is close to a dead end.

What is your budget?
Time, I think to upgrade to a current ryzen or intel platform.

Reactions: Nick Stalburg