Question What PC component should i upgrade?

May 6, 2019
I was wondering what PC component should i upgrade so i could maybe play Fortnite, CSGO, Overwatch...
My PC specs:
32-bit (i'm aware i need 64-bit)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.30 GHz
RAM: 4,00GB (3,12GB usable)

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed: motherboard, GPU, SSD/HDD's etc..

That said adding memory is likely to be the best choice. But only as a generic observation.

However, you need to look at the bigger picture with respect to current hardware and the games you are playing.

Look at the recommended hardware specs for each game. Generally presented as minimal, recommended, and best.

You want recommended and as much best as you can afford or fit in.

There will always be some bottleneck and if that bottleneck is "choking" even before RAM then RAM may not necessarily be the solution.

Specs and details matter: Adding RAM, if viable, will not help per se if the memory modules do not match what the motherboard can support.

I was wondering what PC component should i upgrade so i could maybe play Fortnite, CSGO, Overwatch...
My PC specs:
32-bit (i'm aware i need 64-bit)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.30 GHz
RAM: 4,00GB (3,12GB usable)
Fortnite requires at least a 2.4ghz i3 so your x3 will have very low IPC to be able to play it at any decent frame rates no matter what you upgrade (aside from a new cpu / mobo / ram)

Overwatch, playable since you are at minimum depending on your GPU (at least GTX 460 or Radeon HD 4850)

CS:GO should not be any problem, and any GPU with DX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0

What's your budget to upgrade?

If you just need a graphics card, the best entry-level bang-per-buck would be the Radeon RX 570 for $120 ($140 w/ $20 MIR), and you can always move it to your new system - speaking of which, the below system would work out out as a decent starting point for your core system upgrade, and would even play them pretty well with the on-board GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PLP7QZ

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $251.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-07 11:23 EDT-0400

You could upgrade the memory on your existing system, but not sure that would be a good investment considering how low-performing the CPU is these days. Would be great for a poor college student or someone's kids if you sold it on the cheap to fund your new parts.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019
More information needed: motherboard, GPU, SSD/HDD's etc..

That said adding memory is likely to be the best choice. But only as a generic observation.

However, you need to look at the bigger picture with respect to current hardware and the games you are playing.

Look at the recommended hardware specs for each game. Generally presented as minimal, recommended, and best.

You want recommended and as much best as you can afford or fit in.

There will always be some bottleneck and if that bottleneck is "choking" even before RAM then RAM may not necessarily be the solution.

Specs and details matter: Adding RAM, if viable, will not help per se if the memory modules do not match what the motherboard can support.
My motherboard is ASUSTek Computer Inc. Model: M4A87TD/USB3
GPU is ATI Radeon HD 5670
About hard disk i couldn't find out but i think it's HDD
Thanks for answering, if you need any other component feel free to ask.

May 6, 2019
Fortnite requires at least a 2.4ghz i3 so your x3 will have very low IPC to be able to play it at any decent frame rates no matter what you upgrade (aside from a new cpu / mobo / ram)

Overwatch, playable since you are at minimum depending on your GPU (at least GTX 460 or Radeon HD 4850)

CS:GO should not be any problem, and any GPU with DX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0

What's your budget to upgrade?

If you just need a graphics card, the best entry-level bang-per-buck would be the Radeon RX 570 for $120 ($140 w/ $20 MIR), and you can always move it to your new system - speaking of which, the below system would work out out as a decent starting point for your core system upgrade, and would even play them pretty well with the on-board GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PLP7QZ

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $251.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-07 11:23 EDT-0400

You could upgrade the memory on your existing system, but not sure that would be a good investment considering how low-performing the CPU is these days. Would be great for a poor college student or someone's kids if you sold it on the cheap to fund your new parts.
Thanks alot! I really appreciate it :)