What POWER supply should I get

Graph1cs

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
I have 60 pounds to spend on a 600w POWER supply I don't know which one to get though but I have 2 that I would buy but not sure which is better these are the products..

PSU 1: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/FSP-PPA7003101-700-Fortron-Hyper/dp/B014A0M1GG&ved=2ahUKEwivo9Lx67rbAhWnCcAKHc4UDJYQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2EmIrJRlEGxEjYxTWujAmv

PSU 2: Cooler Master G650M PSU 'Semi-Modular, 80 Plus Bronze, 650W' RS650-AMAAB1-UK

These items are on amazon

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
What is the point of going by OEMs when reviews are available? That’s almost as bad as choosing by brand.

Because the OEMs make what they’re asked.

And what does it matter if some other PSUs with the same OEM has burnt down a house? That is irrelevant, because the cooler master gm is an okay psu with a full set of protections, and independent regulation.
You linked a review, why not read it instead of making assumptions based on the OEM...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I did read it but thanks for the condescending post. I read both, neither one is particularly good, so I'll give you that the FSP is not far better. But you are wrong in saying the coolermaster is much better either. OEMs do make what they are asked, but you are blind if you think an OEM that makes many junk level PSUs can suddenly produce a high end unit because they are asked. When a company wants a high end unit, they call someone else.

So you can continue fight me because of your overwhelming need to be right, be my guest, or you can let it go.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
OEMs do make what they are asked, but you are blind if you think an OEM that makes many junk level PSUs can suddenly produce a high end unit because they are asked. When a company wants a high end unit, they call someone else.
What makes you think it’s so hard for CWT or any OEM for that matter to use a different platform, or different components on demand? That’s what they do. Corsair vs series is very low end, made by cwt. They also have the RMX, RMi, HXi, which are very high end psus made by cwt.
It’s not just cwt, Seasonic has the low end S12ii, yet they also have a high end platform in the Seasonic Primes.
AMD has been creating not-so interesting CPUs for a long time prior to Ryzen. Does that mean they’re not capable of making a great CPU?

You obviously don’t understand how the industry works, so all I can suggest is looking here http://orionpsudb.com/corsair and reading through JonnyGURU’s comments (he works at Corsair).

Although OEMs do have something to do with it - solder quality, QC, testing, etc. CWT as far as I know has multiple “lines”. You can think of each line putting different amount of effort into making the PSU, though I don’t know the specifics. This is why some CWT psu may have crappy soldering, some other models have great soldering.

Don’t choose by OEM though, that’s useless.
The coolermaster GM is better because of its independents regulation meaning better voltage regulation in modern computers, and more/better protections which are probably the most important aspect of a PSU.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You stepped all over your argument in calling the S12II a low end PSU. Its not. Its an old group regulated design, but its hardly low end. You then finished yourself off with the AMD comparison, their CPUs weren't competitive performance wise, but they were hardly ever low quality.

In any event I don't need a lesson from you of all people on how the PSU industry works. I also know very well whom Jonnyguru is (you do know he posts here), I literally linked his review 2 posts up. The OP hasn't been back since so this has become a waste of both of our time.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
"low quality" is a bit subjective. Though for the majority of consumers with a high end iGPU gaming system with current pricing, the Corsair VS would be avoidable, the s12ii is avoidable because as you said it uses an old group regulated design and crappy protections, just like how the old AMD CPUs were usually avoidable.
What am I getting at? Don't generalise. OP has asked a specific question, give them a specific answer, not an assumed one.
Although more information would be useful to assist finding more options.

In any event I don't need a lesson from you of all people on how the PSU industry works.
Then don't go spreading around misinformation, like implying "CWT is crap since they made a few crap platforms therefore incapable of producing quality".

I also know very well whom Jonnyguru is (you do know he posts here), I literally linked his review 2 posts up.

He didn't make that review... He was just the founder of the site it was published on.

I also haven't seen him post here except in the review comment section.

The OP hasn't been back since so this has become a waste of both of our time.

Not necessarily. Because when OP does return, an answer will be awaiting him. And this information is not only useful to OP but for yourself or whoever is reading.

OP. From those two option the Cooler Master GM is the better. However it is likely you would be fine on a good 500w power supply as very few builds really require 600w.
If compatible, a be Quiet Pure Power 10 would be better.