Question what program changes my profile files to hidden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainstormer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I'm in Windows 10. I noticed that my Appdata folder was not visible and I'm thinking either Windows update did this or Avast did this.

Whoever did it, I'm not impressed.

Intrusive software is a capital offense in some countries, I'm sure. I may write a bill about this, but until this time, I am looking for answers here.

I did get it back but I'm just curious how it happened.

'Control Panel > File Explorer Options' should offer all of the options regarding these matters.

if there is some 3rd party software interfering in the matter, i've never seen it.
maybe if you have some Windows customization apps installed like 'Winaero Tweaker' or 'Windows 10 Manager' but those options would have to be set manually if using them.

USAFRet

Titan
Reinstalling blockchain directories, renaming old directories. You'll have to google the rest, sorry too much to explain.
We can't google what you did, or what your special crypto thing wants to do.

IN any case, the AppData folder is hidden by default.
But, once unhidden, I've never had any Windows update revert to hiding it.

So it must be some of your magical crypto software, or something you did.

Good luck.

brainstormer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
It's not uncommon in the life of a Windows operating system for files once made visible that were by default invisible to go back to invisible without anyone doing it manually. You can google it and find other people complaining about it.

USAFRet

Titan
It's not uncommon in the life of a Windows operating system for files once made visible that were by default invisible to go back to invisible without anyone doing it manually. You can google it and find other people complaining about it.
That may be so.
But it is not a disaster, nor a pain to undo.

Having said that, I've never seen your AppData situation in any of my windows systems over the years.

It's not uncommon in the life of a Windows operating system for files once made visible that were by default invisible to go back
I've never seen your AppData situation in any of my windows systems over the years
i've always "unhidden" all of my system folders and customized my File Explorer 'View' options in every version of Windows where it was an option and have also never had an issue where those options reset by themselves.
and i've used every edition since 3.1.

whatever happened, if something actually did, had to be due to your, "tweaking" of folders, as you put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.