[SOLVED] What program is good for testing HDD's health?

AlwaysReaper

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019
Im buying a used 1 tb HDD, the seller is willing to test it in any program and send a screenshot with the results to me. Which program is the best for a quick health status?

Solution
SeaTools looked remarkably like GsmartControl with a new wrapper...with a few links to Seagate for paid recovery options?

As new WD 1 TB Blue hard drives are all of $28 these days, I'd settle for a clean CrystalDiskInfo display, passing on any drive with any reallocations/bad sectors

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the makes will usually have a diagnostic program that they use to determine if the drive is good, WD has their lifeguard software, seagate has Seatools, etc.
what is the make of the drive.

my preferred drive fitness test is spinrite 6 but is is pretty pricey for a license.

AlwaysReaper

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019
the makes will usually have a diagnostic program that they use to determine if the drive is good, WD has their lifeguard software, seagate has Seatools, etc.
what is the make of the drive.

my preferred drive fitness test is spinrite 6 but is is pretty pricey for a license.
Its a seagate barracuda

SeaTools looked remarkably like GsmartControl with a new wrapper...with a few links to Seagate for paid recovery options?

As new WD 1 TB Blue hard drives are all of $28 these days, I'd settle for a clean CrystalDiskInfo display, passing on any drive with any reallocations/bad sectors

Solution
If you must use the manufacturer's tools, use SeaChest and avoid SeaTools. SeaTools will give a passing grade to a drive with 2000 bad sectors, so it is not to be trusted in that respect.

I would recommend MHDD (DOS) or HDDScan (Windows). These tools will perform a full surface scan and identify any "slow" sectors. SeaTools will not.

AlwaysReaper

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019
Most failing drives will quickly show issues in the C5 and C6 lines of data, and, often show in Caution status with a 'yellow' background....

As it is just a 1 TB used drive, pay your $15 and take your chances, I guess....

It's power on hours indicate it's been on 400+ days 24/7, or 1200 days in 8 hour increments...; definitely has some hours on it...

I'd personally honestly just spend the $28 on a new WD drive....but, the drive you are looking at shows no issues, assuming, of course, the CrystalDiskInfo output is from the drive in question..