[SOLVED] What PSU connectors do I need? Which PSU then?

Jan 31, 2020
Hi. I'm gathering parts for a video editing build based around a Ryzen 3700x and the ASUS TUF x570 mobo .

Along with that there'll be a Nvidia 2060 Super GPU; two M.2 NVMe SSDs; one ~10gb HDD; and 32 gb RAM.

I'm comparing different models of PSUs and getting thrown a bit by the number and types of connectors. Some have three 6+2 connex and some have four. There are different numbers of EPS, SATA and Molex connex as well.

As much as I've read about this I still don't have a good idea of how many and which connectors I need. I've estimated my system as running ~400-450 max. so I am considering a 650 watt unit.

Can anyone comment on what connex I need for this system? Any PSU recommendations are welcome as well. The one thing I'm pretty firm on is that the PSU should have at least a 10-year warranty.

Here are some examples of PSU's I'm looking at:

EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650W 80+ Gold
EVGA Supernova 650 GA 80+ Gold
SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold
CORSAIR RM650x 80+ Gold

Thank very much!

Solution
Thank you for that, Archaic. the Corsair I mentioned is the RM650x, which I see as going for about $150. But then there is the RM650x (2018) which only costs $110. They have different numbers of SATA and Molex connectors. And why is 2018 so much cheaper that 2019?

It's nice to be reassured that these models "have all the necessary connectors you need" but I'm interested in finding out specifically how many (and of which) I need, and how many I might need for future upgrades and additions. That way I can decide between different PSUs with different numbers of connectors and know whether I'm "cutting it close" on the connectors and should consider a different PSU.
The newer 2018 RMx series has a smaller...
Jan 31, 2020
You could use a 550W PSU if you want. A 650W will give you plenty of headroom for upgrades and overclocking. The Seasonic and Corsair units you listed are 2 of the best and will have all necessary connectors you need.
Thank you for that, Archaic. the Corsair I mentioned is the RM650x, which I see as going for about $150. But then there is the RM650x (2018) which only costs $110. They have different numbers of SATA and Molex connectors. And why is 2018 so much cheaper that 2019?

It's nice to be reassured that these models "have all the necessary connectors you need" but I'm interested in finding out specifically how many (and of which) I need, and how many I might need for future upgrades and additions. That way I can decide between different PSUs with different numbers of connectors and know whether I'm "cutting it close" on the connectors and should consider a different PSU.

The newer 2018 RMx series has a smaller chassis to fit more compact builds and a quieter fan profile along with a 10 year warranty. I think the older model was 7 years. The RTX 2060 super uses a single PCIe 6+2 (8-pin) power cable and the RM650x has 2 cables with a total of four 6+2 (8-pin) connectors so you have that covered with extra leftover. You only need a single 4+4 (8-pin) connector for the CPU unless you're an extreme overclocker with one of the highest end boards that require an additional connector . You'll get 3 SATA cables with 3 connectors on each for a total of 9 connectors, more than enough for almost any user. Since you'll be using m.2 drives that attach directly to the motherboard you may not need any SATA cables at all unless you add more drives for extra storage. Molex connectors aren't used much anymore but are there for users with older hardware that need them. The seasonic model offers almost the same connectors as the Corsair. Bottom line is you'll have more than you need so find a safe place to keep the extras. I see posts here from users looking to find cables because they lost theirs and cables are not swappable from one brand PSU to another.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 31, 2020
Thanks again, Archaic. Good information. You've relieve some of my worry about the number of power connectors. You mention the 2018 model and "the older model". Isn't the 2018 the older model? I assumed the other (without a year) was the newer one--2019 or later.

TRENDING THREADS