[SOLVED] What PSU is required?

interlaced_

BANNED
Feb 24, 2019
Hello, I'm looking foward to my future PC build and I'm wondering how many watts do I need for my setup...
Also these are all built on PcPartPicker.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: 1x Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
1x Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card

Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

On PcPartPicker estimates around 359W total. However, will this PSU that I chose will work even though it has more Wattage? Is it safe? I believe I know everything about all these parts except for the PSU's...

PSU: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+

Thanks and looking foward from hearing you guys! This is my first PC build and I would like to start out in a higher end.

Yes, the system will work with a PSU rated for more than the system will draw, with the only downside being higher power draw from the outlet. I have a Corsair CX 550m PSU and it has never given me any trouble. They are pretty good quality and offer good value for the money. Just to be safe, I would recommend a little more wattage and quality. Such as the EVGA superNova series, a Seasonic offering, or CX 650 or 750.

Last edited:

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
The CX550M can easily run those specs. But I would step it up in quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-24 17:47 EST-0500

or

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: FSP Group - Hydro GE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $77.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-24 17:49 EST-0500

Corsair - CX (2017) 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RG...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020123-na
MerchantBasePromoShippingTaxAvailabilityTotal
$59.99-$20.00+$3.99 s/hIn stock$43.98
$20.00 mail-in rebate
I would recommend this PSU. Newegg has a very good deal on it right now. You get a quality 750 watt 80+ bronze PSU for $43, hard to beat. This PSU will give you room to upgrade your pc in the future and make sure you don't run into any unexpected shutdowns due to a weak PSU.

interlaced_

BANNED
Feb 24, 2019
Wow, unexpected speedy reply. That's good to know! So what you are saying is little higher wattage PSU will draw plenty of power from the outlet and it will limit to a desired amount to the computer? Will it be good for overclocking too?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
A psu will only deliver what the pc asks for,draw from the socket has with energy efficiency to do (being "bronze" or "gold") not with the wattage itself.

Looking at price and if possible rebates would i pick this one (bit bias since using one),
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Jf...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020131-na
will hardly be necessary to have 750watts,but being gold rated and will it be already be very efficient at low wattage usage.Since hardly pushed will it alos be very silent. Having said that,a good quality 550watt would be fine for your build.

The G3 from EVGA mentioned above is also a good choice.