Question What PSU should I get to supply this pc and graphics card

tygzy

Prominent
Jul 20, 2022
I want to buy the GTX 960 4gb to upgrade my prebuilt pc, and I'm sure that I need to upgrade the PSU to be able to power the GPU, but I don't know which I should get for my pc since I don't really know a lot about PSUs. These are my specs:

CPU: i3-4160 3.6ghz
Motherboard:
Ram: 8gb DDR3
HDD: 500GB + 750GB
To be GPU: GTX 960

In case anyone is wondering the pre-built model is: Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 73 i3-4160

I want to buy the GTX 960 4gb to upgrade my prebuilt pc, and I'm sure that I need to upgrade the PSU to be able to power the GPU, but I don't know which I should get for my pc since I don't really know a lot about PSUs. These are my specs:

CPU: i3-4160 3.6ghz
Motherboard:
Ram: 8gb DDR3
HDD: 500GB + 750GB
To be GPU: GTX 960

In case anyone is wondering the pre-built model is: Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 73 i3-4160

Hey there,

Any decent 450w+ PSU will do fine for your build, and give a little headroom.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $54.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-20 05:43 EDT-0400

tygzy

Prominent
Jul 20, 2022

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
? There weren't any 12vO back then that I know of. It uses a 14pin TFX, but that's just a form factor, still applies atx standards for the rails. If needs be can use adapters in the mini-towers for SFX psus to go from 20/24pin to 14pin. But the SFF, slim towers etc have space limitations.

Many of those proprietary systems also used chopped pcie, the pcie x16 is power limited to 25w, not the full, standard 75w, just to prevent overloading small power units like that 180w psu.

Meaning the biggest card that fits is a GT710/720

The only pc's I can think of that were 12vO were built around laptops, like the nucs and other micro-pc types, and they used a brick, same as a laptop.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

bignastyid

Titan
? There weren't any 12vO back then that I know of. It uses a 14pin TFX, but that's just a form factor, still applies atx standards for the rails. If needs be can use adapters in the mini-towers for SFX psus to go from 20/24pin to 14pin. But the SFF, slim towers etc have space limitations.

Many of those proprietary systems also used chopped pcie, the pcie x16 is power limited to 25w, not the full, standard 75w, just to prevent overloading small power units like that 180w psu.

The only pc's I can think of that were 12vO were built around laptops, like the nucs and other micro-pc types, and they used a brick, same as a laptop.
Many oems have been using 12vo in a proprietary form for awhile. If you look at the PSU for that Lenovo all the wires are yellow and black(12v and ground).

tygzy

Prominent
Jul 20, 2022

I may have not been clear which model it is, but my pc is not SFF, its a mid-tower size, and a much bigger card than the GT 710 will fit, here is a link to the actual pc I have: https://www.expertec.co.uk/clear-le...ruhYbESPvbaUc7mxrCZS6uhvBWhHcj9QaAmY2EALw_wcB . With this bigger size, will I be fine to upgrade or not because I imagine some of the things you said may not apply since it is not SFF.