[SOLVED] what quick upgrade can I get to make this run cities skyline well?

Feb 27, 2020
I bought this system probably a year ago thinking is was good enough to run cities skyline . I understand my huge mistake in getting this pc. Kinda gave up hope on it over the year. Is there any quick upgrade you suggest to get the most out of it? Appreciate any help. Btw it was a pre build on Amazon for 500 or so bucks
Windows 10 Gaming Computer PC - AMD FX 6300 Hexa-Core @ 4.10GHz Max - 2GB nVidia GT710 Graphics - 8GB DDR3 Ram - 1TB HDD

Solution
Something like this will get you going. From your current pc you can reuse pc case and hdd.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II EVO 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $372.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Something like this will get you going. From your current pc you can reuse pc case and hdd.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II EVO 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.98 @ Amazon)

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, something like SkyNet suggests is what you need. I wish you had asked us before buying that last year!

The problem is that nothing is really upgradeable on this PC. The platform is dead (it's from 2012 with DDR3 RAM), the GPU isn't for gaming, just for basic viewing of Windows, and the power supply is from a notorious vendor of cheap junk. Unfortunately, this was a $200 PC with a Windows license thrown in and then sold to you for $500.

Feb 27, 2020
Yeah, something like SkyNet suggests is what you need. I wish you had asked us before buying that last year!

The problem is that nothing is really upgradeable on this PC. The platform is dead (it's from 2012 with DDR3 RAM), the GPU isn't for gaming, just for basic viewing of Windows, and the power supply is from a notorious vendor of cheap junk. Unfortunately, this was a $200 PC with a Windows license thrown in and then sold to you for $500.
Yea. Sucks. I blame myself. Should’ve did my hw beforehand. Won’t let this stop me from getting into pc gaming tho

Feb 27, 2020
His system exceeds the recommended spec for that game except the gpu which falls short.

I agree that system is seriously lacking for more modern and demanding games but if all you care about is that game then a gpu upgrade would be sufficient.
What would you recommend, if you don’t mind.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

PCPartPicker Part List

My only objection would be in the older-design of that particular PSU.
For $7 more, I'd go with this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

It's a more modern design better capable of handling how modern PCs draw power, and has a longer warranty.

I'm not saying that the S12II and M12II are bad, mind you. They were great for their time, just very dated.