[SOLVED] What RAM for Samsung R780

raffsf

Honorable
May 18, 2016
OK I am upgrading my R780 and intend to put in 8GB of RAM(2x 4GB) as that is the maximum I can put in (bye bye idea of 2 x8GB).

I was looking at buying here:

2x4GB RAM

However I see there is PC3-8500 with both s and u suffixes.

Can some one explain the difference between PC3-8500S and PC3-8500U and which I should buy (Am I right in thinking the U is for Unbuffered and therefore the RAM I need.)

Any views on XUM RAM? At £13 for 4GB its better value:

XUM 4GB RAM

Also would the 2 x 4GB be a big enough difference from a 2Gb and 4GB setup to justify the extra expense?

Thanks for looking in.

Last edited:
Solution
..............would the 2 x 4GB be a big enough difference from a 2Gb and 4GB................

It depends on whether your laptop's suffering from low-memory issues. 6GB of RAM is usually sufficient for light, everyday use so adding another 2GB may not make any noticeable difference.

The best way to speed up your elderly laptop is to upgrade to a SATA SSD.

The modules in your second link should work fine (although you may want to check the speed of your current RAM first using something like Speccy or HWinfo). The modules in your first link won't work because they're for desktop computers.
OK I am upgrading my R780 and intend to put in 8GB of RAM(2x 4GB) as that is the maximum I can put in (bye bye idea of 2 x8GB).

I was looking at buying here:

2x4GB RAM

However I see there is PC3-8500 with both s and u suffixes.

Can some one explain the difference between PC3-8500S and PC3-8500U and which I should buy (Am I right in thinking the U is for Unbuffered and therefore the RAM I need.)

Any views on XUM RAM? At £13 for 4GB its better value:

XUM 4GB RAM

Also would the 2 x 4GB be a big enough difference from a 2Gb and 4GB setup to justify the extra expense?

Thanks for looking in.
What is a r780?

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
..............would the 2 x 4GB be a big enough difference from a 2Gb and 4GB................

It depends on whether your laptop's suffering from low-memory issues. 6GB of RAM is usually sufficient for light, everyday use so adding another 2GB may not make any noticeable difference.

The best way to speed up your elderly laptop is to upgrade to a SATA SSD.

The modules in your second link should work fine (although you may want to check the speed of your current RAM first using something like Speccy or HWinfo). The modules in your first link won't work because they're for desktop computers.

Reactions: raffsf
Solution

raffsf

Honorable
May 18, 2016
Thanks for the replies. Oops on that link to the desktop stuff. The XUM RAM will be compatible with what's already in it.

I will be putting in a SSD in time but figure I'll save myself the hassle of that change until Win 11 is rolled out and work with the RAM initially. I'll get that 8GB of XUM

@ Bob.BIt is a 64bit OS too.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
I'll save myself the hassle of that change until Win 11 is rolled out

Your laptop is roughly 11 years old. The hardware requirements for Windows 11 are very stringent so are you sure that it'll be compatible or are you hoping to try a hack to try and make it work?

An SSD will definitely improve the laptop's performance dramatically - an extra 2GB of RAM, probably not.

raffsf

Honorable
May 18, 2016
Your laptop is roughly 11 years old. The hardware requirements for Windows 11 are very stringent so are you sure that it'll be compatible or are you hoping to try a hack to try and make it work?

An SSD will definitely improve the laptop's performance dramatically - an extra 2GB of RAM, probably not.

It has an Intel Core i5-430M processor · Will have 6 - 8GB RAM GeForce GT 330M

I can do all office work,surfing and downloading, transferring to and from phone watch videos and other than a little gaming (I have a desktop for that) it can do all I need it to do. A SSD will speed it further when I get round to putting one in. It's still doing OK despite its age.

IF Win11 is looking for more than that I can just stick with 10!