Question What Ram to choose for dell vostro 1510

Dec 12, 2019
Hi guys I'm looking up upgrade my Dell vostro 1510, it's the older model with win xp and 2gb upgradable to 4gb.
However I purchased 2x2gb dimms and I got error leds and could not boot up to bios. I used pc2-5300 pc2-5400 667mhz ddr2 komputerbay Ram from Amazon.

The Dell came with Samsung, could brand make a difference?

Would like to find Ram that will work.

Any ideas?

Dec 12, 2019
Already returned just trying to do some research before buying more. I see a few bios updates are available but nothing for Ram. Also it seems that even with 4gb installed only 3.25-3.5 is available so it may not be worth upgrading after all.
Thanks for the help all.

Already returned just trying to do some research before buying more. I see a few bios updates are available but nothing for Ram. Also it seems that even with 4gb installed only 3.25-3.5 is available so it may not be worth upgrading after all.
Thanks for the help all.
From 2GB to 3.2GB or 3.5GB is really worth the upgrade. The rest of the memory is not lost but is used by the hardware, hence is reserved.

Dec 12, 2019
I'm using the laptop for video editing and need 4gb+, I have a newer machine with 4gb that sometimes runs out of memory and crashes.
The older laptop is a business machine and overall faster than the 3yrold home machine but won't help if it's also limited by Ram.
I considered it when I thought I could get the full 4gb available.