[SOLVED] What RAM to get for ryzen 5 3400g?

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
Hi, I am currently looking for an “upgrade”, since at the moment I have a i5 4gen and want to switch to AMD. I am new to ryzen processors, and a friend of mine got me a ryzen 5 3400g and a motherboard asrock b450m hdv rev4. Looking at the specs, the processor says that support until 2933 ram, but the motherboard says it supports until 3200. Which one should I be looking for? Since I would need to order them through internet to my country and I will not be able to return them if they are not compatible.

Thanks!

Solution
Hi, I am currently looking for an “upgrade”, since at the moment I have a i5 4gen and want to switch to AMD. I am new to ryzen processors, and a friend of mine got me a ryzen 5 3400g and a motherboard asrock b450m hdv rev4. Looking at the specs, the processor says that support until 2933 ram, but the motherboard says it supports until 3200. Which one should I be looking for? Since I would need to order them through internet to my country and I will not be able to return them if they are not compatible.

Thanks!

Hi,

Ryzen CPU's can be a bit fussy with memory so it's worth checking... thankfully the motherboard vendors test memory kits so easiest option is to find a memory kit that is tested and approved. The cpu you have is a...

Thanks!

Hi,

Ryzen CPU's can be a bit fussy with memory so it's worth checking... thankfully the motherboard vendors test memory kits so easiest option is to find a memory kit that is tested and approved. The cpu you have is a 'Picasso' APU (the sites list the cpu ranges by the official code names provided by AMD):
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/index.asp#MemoryPS
For some reason, looks like Asrock have only tested one memory kit with your cpu.

That said, the Picasso APU is actually a variant of the Ryzen 2000 series (despite the '3000' series branding), which is code-named "Pinnacle Ridge" and there is a complete list for those here:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/index.asp#MemoryPR

Any memory kit on either of those lists should work fine with your cpu (and note the table includes the speed that Asrock got the memory kit to work at - sometimes faster kits will only work correctly at a slower speed so it's worth checking the table to make sure the kit you go with reaches the rated speed in the 'supported speed' column).

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

Thanks!

Ryzen is very RAM hungry. I found a cheap set of Corsair LPX 16GB @3200mhz and it works on any b450. Best to double check though. I have a ryzen 5 2600 saying it supports 2933 mhz ram but I have it set to 3200mhz and it works fine. Very recommended. Take a look at this.