What RAM to oveclock with

allisa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I wouldn't overclock to 4ghz...only because changing it .40ghz won't make any visual changes on performance. Plus going even higher might strain your processor too much, causing instability.

Aloid

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
^ Sorry about wasting your time on this, but why would the mushkin perform better, I mean i trust mushkin they are a amazing company but why do they perform better?

@Aloid The RAM chips that Mushkin uses are of the highest quality and they have better power regulations on the sticks...So during overclock, they can handle higher voltages better(For high overclocking, you would have to increase the voltages of the RAM too)...
So like I said for that 3.6GHz, even the OCZ can handle as that as you would need to increase the RAM voltages to increase the RAM speed much in order to increase the CPU speed(Check BCLK - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking_2.html) as the stock 1.6/1.65V would suffice for that speed...

Aloid

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Ah ok now I got it, so your saying as I kond of suspected the Muhkin has higher quality parts, and will handle the voltage increase i need to do to increas my BCLK better than the OCZ right?

^ Yes...
But I dont think you would need to increase the RAM voltage as at stock voltages itself, BCLK can be increased to increase the RAM speed to reach that 3.6GHz overclock on both the RAM sticks...If your intentions are for a very high overclock, then only you would see the advantage of that Mushkin...