Question What RPM is ideal for my case fans?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

My case is a be quiet! Pure Base 500DX. It's great for airflow, mesh front, no obstacles in front of intakes, only the dust filter and the mesh front itself. I have four Pure Wings 2 fans set up like this:

gfGtHdF.png

My fans are idling at 850-900 RPM, however after some difficulties they recently started making an odd humming noise.

If I keep my case fans under 700 RPM at all times, they don't make that noise. If I keep them like that at all times, or at least while idle, will it be a problem? Should I set them to ramp up only when the GPU gets hot (which is currently the hottest component in my build)?

Any advice on how to reduce this humming noise? My motherboard ia GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro if you have any tips on how to configure it.

if your temps don't spike it's totally fine to run them at 700rpm. unless your CPU or your GPU overheating you're fine.

My Noctua has shown the same behaviour at 1000rpm recently and the noise definitely comes from the fan so I guess it's defective.

you could try remounting your fans though. I had a similar case twice, in both cases the sound wasn't coming from the fan but from the fan screws. in one case I had to tighten the screws, in another one I had to loosen them somewhat as the screw was starting to give vibrations to the case.

D

Deleted member 2720853

if your temps don't spike it's totally fine to run them at 700rpm. unless your CPU or your GPU overheating you're fine.

My Noctua has shown the same behaviour at 1000rpm recently and the noise definitely comes from the fan so I guess it's defective.

you could try remounting your fans though. I had a similar case twice, in both cases the sound wasn't coming from the fan but from the fan screws. in one case I had to tighten the screws, in another one I had to loosen them somewhat as the screw was starting to give vibrations to the case.
The thing is I installed some Noctua NF-A14 fans, and they were humming and vibrating like hell at idle even with the rubber pads. I took them out and returned them, then placed my old fans back in the same spots.

But now these fans are humming too.
I doubt they're defective.

When I get home I'll try switching the fans around as only the top front intake fan and the rear exhaust fan seem to be humming. I also won't overtighten the screws as I screwed the fans in pretty tight last time out of frustration. Spent a day trying to fix this.

Any other suggestions on what I should do are welcome.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Alright, loosened some of the screws a bit, and exchanged the top intake fan with the rear exhaust fan. Removed the top fan. Humming stopped a little but it's still there. Hopefully, it won't drive me crazy.