[SOLVED] What should I ask before buying a used GPU ?

Jun 14, 2021
Wasn't planning on buying a GPU until things get better since i'm "somewhat" ok with my current 5600g APU, but i saw a listing for a used rx 570 and rx 580 (4gb) for around $200 and it got me interested...

Most likely it was used for mining, but i saw a vid from LTT that said buying used from a miner isn't a big performance loss or something, but i'm not knowledgeable enough to do a proper check if it's still good, or if it's even legit or not. Anyone happen to have any advice on what to ask?

Solution
what to ask

1. Does it work?
  2. Video proof of it working?
  3. Refund options if GPU arrives DOA?

i saw a vid from LTT that said buying used from a miner isn't a big performance loss or something

Mining GPUs are ran 24/7 with 100% load, considerably shortening it's lifespan. Heck, GPU in a mining rig can die within a year, whereby miner then RMA the GPU and gets a new one, since GPU has 2 years of warranty. Luckily, GPU manufacturers catched on to this fast and put a stop of this kind of scamming, whereby now, you can't RMA mining GPU, in hopes to get a new one, since consumer grade GPUs are not designed nor manufactured to run 100% 24/7. And using consumer GPU in an industrial environment, is abuse of said...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
what to ask

1. Does it work?
  2. Video proof of it working?
  3. Refund options if GPU arrives DOA?

i saw a vid from LTT that said buying used from a miner isn't a big performance loss or something

Mining GPUs are ran 24/7 with 100% load, considerably shortening it's lifespan. Heck, GPU in a mining rig can die within a year, whereby miner then RMA the GPU and gets a new one, since GPU has 2 years of warranty. Luckily, GPU manufacturers catched on to this fast and put a stop of this kind of scamming, whereby now, you can't RMA mining GPU, in hopes to get a new one, since consumer grade GPUs are not designed nor manufactured to run 100% 24/7. And using consumer GPU in an industrial environment, is abuse of said GPU, whereby it is used outside of the intended scope.

E.g, it's like when you have summertime tires on your car and you go to the mountains and drive on the snow. If you crash your car, you can't sue tire maker because summer tires failed on snow. Most products are not meant to used outside of their designed scope.

That being said, i don't think the miner GPU will last much longer in your hands. It may die within a day or week, since it has been abused so severely already.

Solution
I bought a mining gpu, the summer before the pandemic when they were still dirt cheap.
It was worth it, if youre afraid of maintenance I would steal clear,they need cleaning and thermal paste, maybe memory thermal pads as well. With high usage this must be done or they just wont work right, they will overheat and be a pain in some cases.

Mine on the other hand wise a great purchase, but a poor overclocker on a model known for being an overclocking monster as far as rx 570s go.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Mining GPUs are pack mules. They are only replaced or sold for three reasons:

1. They quit working.
  2. The cost of electricity in operation has exceeded their ability to make money.
  3. Legal restriction of operation.

The last time I checked those cards are still capable of profit when conditions are right. So... that means bad card or legal. In my opinion you may be better off holding on to your integrated graphics, running to Vegas and finding a roulette table with your 200 bucks. You pick red or black but the chances on that card are about the same. Even if it is a Chinese legal turnout card you will more than likely have to rework the thermal solution on the card with no warranty.

Jun 14, 2021
That being said, i don't think the miner GPU will last much longer in your hands. It may die within a day or week, since it has been abused so severely already.
I see... I had a feeling that it'd be quite a gamble but i guess it's really not worth it then, especially since both of them are years old at this point.

if youre afraid of maintenance I would steal clear,they need cleaning and thermal paste, maybe memory thermal pads as well. With high usage this must be done or they just wont work right, they will overheat and be a pain in some cases.
Even if it is a Chinese legal turnout card you will more than likely have to rework the thermal solution on the card with no warranty.
I definitely don't know how to do all of that, but i was thinking it might be worth it to try/learn since it's a lot cheaper compared to any other options currently available. Though, i'm starting to second guess this a lot lol.

Going crazy thinking that i probably won't be able to nab anything "new" to be safe unless i'm prepared to spend double or triple of that 😩 . Anyways, thx for the opinion guys! I'll just... wait...

Reactions: spentshells

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Most of the information your getting is wrong.
A mining card is underclocked and undervolted with a overclock on the memory. What would be worse buying that card or a card that was used 8 to 10 hours a day that was overclocked as much as they could and the power limit increased?

For a video as proof of the card working I can make you a video right now of any card working even if I don't have the card! Not going to take the time to do it but very easy.

About all you can do is ask for a guarantee the card works then if you buy from a individual that you don't know all they will say is it was working when I gave / shipped it to you.

If you buy it from a shop pay with a credit card if it don't work dispute the sale.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMevec3oxVY

11;42 mark here. Pretty much saying it's hit or miss as buying any used card.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Yp6pQRdns

EDIT. I don't buy used, refurbished, or open box parts. For the last few years I don't even buy video cards for myself I just get my brothers hand me downs since he has to buy the latest and greatest all the time, currently using his 2080

I see... I had a feeling that it'd be quite a gamble but i guess it's really not worth it then, especially since both of them are years old at this point.

I definitely don't know how to do all of that, but i was thinking it might be worth it to try/learn since it's a lot cheaper compared to any other options currently available. Though, i'm starting to second guess this a lot lol.

Going crazy thinking that i probably won't be able to nab anything "new" to be safe unless i'm prepared to spend double or triple of that 😩 . Anyways, thx for the opinion guys! I'll just... wait...
Its not hard at all, watch a video then go for it.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Just to clarify here as well I don't suggest buying used hardware period. There are some situations (like when you have a friend who upgrades annually just to spend money) that the hardware is just fine. But in todays hardware market every piece of old junk is going for a crazy unjustified premium. Until the current GPU supply shortage lets up my recommendation is to spend a little bit extra on a good CPU with good integrated GPU and avoid discrete graphics. The best indications are that GPU supply will catch up in the next year. When that happens buy a GPU at MSRP and upgrade. Discrete cards are a rip off at current shortage induced pricing no matter what they are right now.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Smart people mining will underclock and undervolt their GPU. Zerk is correct about that.

But as we've seen, there are a lot of very dumb people mining right now because free money tempts everyone. So I won't touch a mining card.
Even with an underclock and undervolt while mining the fans are running full tilt 24/7/365 and thermals are close to max unlike the idle state temps that most computer hardware sits at 90% of the time unless gaming. Just because they are tweaked into an efficiency sweet spot doesn't mean they aren't cooking all day every day. Miners don't underclock/undervolt to protect hardware it is to maximize the amount of hashes per watt.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
With PC hardware, there are some components that are safe to buy used, then there are those to avoid and those not to buy under any circumstances.

Safe to buy are CPUs, since those are robust and work fine even after years of service.
To avoid, is used GPUs, especially mining GPUs.
And never buy used PSU. Since PSU is the most important component inside the PC, and with used (or refurbished) PSU, you have no knowing of what kind of abuse it has seen. Heck, even manufacturer certified refurbished PSUs, e.g Corsair, come with 90 days of warranty, regardless if the refurbished PSU is VS series with initial 3 years of warranty or AX series with initial 10 years of warranty.

Reactions: Overtrue