[SOLVED] What should I be upgrading first?

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Hey guys, was wondering what to upgrade first. I game alot, with light editing work.

Intel core i7 7700 3.60ghz
16gb ram 2133mhz
EVGA geforce gtx 1080 FTW
MSI H11OM PRO-VD micro atx motherboard
windows 10 64bit

Cheers

Solution
Hmm slightly yes. I'm hoping it's just a smell that'll go soon.
Regarding upgrades, I think I want to possibly buy a few parts. I feel like If I upgrade ram, motherboard or cpu, they'll have to change at the same time though.

I want the newer end i7 or ryzen, full size ATX (Mini just doesn't suit this case at all), and 3000mhz min ram. If you know of a few bits that'll be awesome! All for gaming
If someone was building a new gaming rig a good combination is Ryzen 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and 2x8gb 3200 to 3600 MHz RAM. However as this is not a build and looking to make the step up more beneficial Id look at a Ryzen 3700x. While the gaming difference today is small between the 3600 and 3700x the extra 2 cores and 4 threads...

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Purpose of the upgrade?
Why are you thinking about it at all?
I just want my PC to be updated is all! I just updated my PSU as I smelled horrible chemical smells. But I can still smell it.. and it's kinda worrying me now. The above comment for 3000 Mhz ram hasn't seen that my motherboard only accepts 2666mhz. Maybe a motherboard upgrade would be good first then the ram?

I just want my PC to be updated is all! I just updated my PSU as I smelled horrible chemical smells. But I can still smell it.. and it's kinda worrying me now. The above comment for 3000 Mhz ram hasn't seen that my motherboard only accepts 2666mhz. Maybe a motherboard upgrade would be good first then the ram?
He also didn’t mention a 9900k would need a new motherboard and most likely better cooling solution. It’s not good to suggest a 9900k without knowing the reason for the upgrade.

If you have no specific reason for an upgrade it’s impossible to advise. Your system overall is nicely balanced and upgrading parts with no specific purpose is going to bring little to no gains. It’s best to upgrade when you find the system lacking, you can work out why and upgrade the necessary parts.

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
He also didn’t mention a 9900k would need a new motherboard and most likely better cooling solution. It’s not good to suggest a 9900k without knowing the reason for the upgrade.

If you have no specific reason for an upgrade it’s impossible to advise. Your system overall is nicely balanced and upgrading parts with no specific purpose is going to bring little to no gains. It’s best to upgrade when you find the system lacking, you can work out why and upgrade the necessary parts.
Yes agreed, I thought about this earlier! Overall I play some high demanding games, so upgrades towards that.
Would you by any chance know what a chemical smell could come from? I thought it was the PSU but I still have it slightly after installing new.

Yes agreed, I thought about this earlier! Overall I play some high demanding games, so upgrades towards that.
Would you by any chance know what a chemical smell could come from? I thought it was the PSU but I still have it slightly after installing new.
Problem is high demanding games can still be more cpu heavy or more gpu heavy, you have to look at each game. Also the resolution and game settings you run will also impact cpu and gpu usage.

A new chemical smell could be a part that’s overheated or leaking chemicals. The psu is probably the most line source but it could be something else. When you took out the old psu did it smell, usually these chemical smells stay around for a long time.

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Problem is high demanding games can still be more cpu heavy or more gpu heavy, you have to look at each game. Also the resolution and game settings you run will also impact cpu and gpu usage.

A new chemical smell could be a part that’s overheated or leaking chemicals. The psu is probably the most line source but it could be something else. When you took out the old psu did it smell, usually these chemical smells stay around for a long time.
Regarding upgrades, I think I want to possibly buy a few parts. I feel like If I upgrade ram, motherboard or cpu, they'll have to change at the same time though.

I want the newer end i7 or ryzen, full size ATX (Mini just doesn't suit this case at all), and 3000mhz min ram. If you know of a few bits that'll be awesome! All for gaming

If someone was building a new gaming rig a good combination is Ryzen 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and 2x8gb 3200 to 3600 MHz RAM. However as this is not a build and looking to make the step up more beneficial Id look at a Ryzen 3700x. While the gaming difference today is small between the 3600 and 3700x the extra 2 cores and 4 threads might be more useful in future. It should also help with your editing. You could look at an i7 but personally I think Ryzen is the better buy and I opted for a 3700x myself over the 9700k.

Solution

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
If someone was building a new gaming rig a good combination is Ryzen 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and 2x8gb 3200 to 3600 MHz RAM. However as this is not a build and looking to make the step up more beneficial Id look at a Ryzen 3700x. While the gaming difference today is small between the 3600 and 3700x the extra 2 cores and 4 threads might be more useful in future. It should also help with your editing. You could look at an i7 but personally I think Ryzen is the better buy and I opted for a 3700x myself over the 9700k.
Lovely, thanks for the help!
Will I need a new CPU fan? Currently use a Deepcool gamer storm.

I feel like If I upgrade ram, motherboard or cpu, they'll have to change at the same time though.
So far it looks like you want to upgrade just for sake of upgrade process itself - just to spend some money and no specific reason.

May be get a better monitor? Or larger SSD storage. Gaming chair or something. :)

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
So far it looks like you want to upgrade just for sake of upgrade process itself - just to spend some money and no specific reason.

May be get a better monitor? Or larger SSD storage. Gaming chair or something. :)
Ah god, these words do speak so much truth right now :L
I have all of the above apart from maybe a crazy monitor (mines a samsung full HD curved monitor which I bought 3 years ago). SSD could be useful though