What should I buy: WD20EZRZ (WD 2TB Blue), WD1003FZEX (WD 1TB Black), Seagate Baracuda (2-3TB), Toshiba P300 (2-3TB)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Edited:
My current setup includes a Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB (for Windows and Games), Western Digital Blue WD10EALX 1TB (for media and backup data storage), and a 500gb Hitachi DeskStar (for overflow) that is 10+ years old.

I was getting antsy about how old the DeskStar is and did some testing... only to discover that the WD10EALX fails LifeGuard diagnostics.

Price is important. The WD Black 2TB is my ideal, but a hard stretch to my budget (probably $80 or less).

I'm concerned that the new WD Blue 2TB is 5400RPM, that kinda stinks. I'm pretty sure it's a Green with a Blue badge slapped on it. To reduce size to a 1TB for the speed is a sideways move. I'd hoped to replace the failing WD AND the DeskStar together.

Thoughts? My last non-WD drive purchase WAS that Hitachi and I don't think I've run a Seagate this century.

Added: I suppose the Seagate Barracuda and the Toshiba P300 are contenders as well, but I'm not familiar with how reliable they've been lately, or if their drives are up to speed.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Btw. Hitachi was bought by WD and they used to make Toshiba's drives. The courts wouldn't allow the sale unless Toshiba was allowed to split off as it's own manufacturer so they truly do make their own drives now. I have no experience with the newer drives (P/X/N series) but the older ones were quite good for the price.

Do you have a budget in mind for this?
When did this happen? I'm having trouble finding details about it. Toshiba does look like they've started a new naming scheme... that frankly looks more like WD's.