What should I buy?

jb2349

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I'm looking to buy a new component for my of and I can't decide which to buy. I have narrowed it down to a new cpu, gpu, or monitor. I currently have an aoc monitor that has a 5ms response time, 60hz, and is 22 inches. I have an i5 4690k and the gigabyte GeForce Gtx 970. If I do get a monitor I am looking to buy the dell s2716dg. I don't really have a card or processor in mind. Please help me decide what component to buy and if it's not too much trouble what is the best upgrade? (Money isn't really an issue, as long as its around $500 usd).

Solution

i think it was some russian or greek i heard once, pronounce it like that, while he was very excited, since then it just stuck with me ;)

but yea, in all fairness, since that 4690k, is so killer, and i honestly expect Kabylake to be sorta "meh", i doubt it would be worth upgrading his entire platform for that, since if upgrading CPU = new mobo+ram expenses too, and that "performance gain" from his current platform to either skylake or kabylake, wouldnt be that great in most tasks, especially gaming. A major performance gain there would require a new GPU
. aaand any GPU bigger than 970 is honestly a complete waste on 1080p which by his specs im assuming his monitor is.
and again jumping to a...

Ryan_78

Honorable
it seems like you ont need anything new to me. the computer is more than enough to handle any game, and monitor is just personal preference. if you want a new monitor, sure. but youre better off saving for the next build or major upgrade when next gen intel comes out and pascal and polaris

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
since your CPU + GPU is already very STRONK, i would do this:
get the monitor,
but consider an IPS panel with the same specs. Unless you are doing like "pro fps gaming", because the 4ms response of equal IPS panels wont matter for most persons, but the colour experience can be noteworthy for overall gaming and gorgeousness

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

he already has a 970 why upgrade to pascal 1070 with prob only 10% performance increase wouldnt make sense/be a waste, and if going for the 1080ti version, well thats a whole diff ballpark, which again would be utterly wasted on his current monitor

Ryan_78

Honorable

STRONK=Bonk on the head+strong
:D

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

i think it was some russian or greek i heard once, pronounce it like that, while he was very excited, since then it just stuck with me ;)

but yea, in all fairness, since that 4690k, is so killer, and i honestly expect Kabylake to be sorta "meh", i doubt it would be worth upgrading his entire platform for that, since if upgrading CPU = new mobo+ram expenses too, and that "performance gain" from his current platform to either skylake or kabylake, wouldnt be that great in most tasks, especially gaming. A major performance gain there would require a new GPU
. aaand any GPU bigger than 970 is honestly a complete waste on 1080p which by his specs im assuming his monitor is.
and again jumping to a pascal 1070 when already owning a 970 would be dubious at best, thus the "only" upgrade would be to 980ti (since 980 is horsewax scam), or 1080ti pascal/1080(if the 1080 actually holds up this time)....
........buuut again the 980ti or1080 would be an unfathomably huge waste on his current monitor
THEREFOR... drum roll please... leaving only his monitor to be upgraded as the next step

then after that, we consider a GPU upgrade.. then after that we consider platform upgrade
then after that we go to work wearing jet packs

because: STRONK! :D

Solution

TRENDING THREADS