[SOLVED] What should I do next?

Oct 23, 2019
Hi All. Backstory. Major lightning strike. Lost a few electronic items in home. Asus computer now does nothing when power button pushed. Was plugged into a surge protector. I think (a guess) a surge may have come in over the ethernet line. Not sure but lots of stuff stopped working. (blew a piece of art off the wall!) I have tested the PSU. All pins have proper voltage going to motherboard. The little green light on the mobo is on. What else can I do to test and feel good about sourcing another mobo and swapping CPU, video card, memory, etc? Thanks in advance.

Solution
First of all I'm sorry for your situation i hope things improve.

Ok so when a computer suffers a power surge and just so you know 99% of surge protectors you can buy at a store or online are rated for 1000-2000 Joules while a lightning strike can easily send several times that through your lines if you suffer a direct hit.
Now to damage assesment:
1: was the computer off or on?
- If it was off then the power supply would take the most damage if it was on then the Motherboard and CPU would be first to die.

2: do you have another system you can validate or a multi-meter to test capacitors?
- Realistically speaking repairing MAY be possible for the motherboard but it will not come cheap and if your CPU is dead (it is the...
First of all I'm sorry for your situation i hope things improve.

Ok so when a computer suffers a power surge and just so you know 99% of surge protectors you can buy at a store or online are rated for 1000-2000 Joules while a lightning strike can easily send several times that through your lines if you suffer a direct hit.
Now to damage assesment:
1: was the computer off or on?
- If it was off then the power supply would take the most damage if it was on then the Motherboard and CPU would be first to die.

2: do you have another system you can validate or a multi-meter to test capacitors?
- Realistically speaking repairing MAY be possible for the motherboard but it will not come cheap and if your CPU is dead (it is the single most voltage sensitive component) then it is likely you will need a scratch build as the GPU probably followed suit

Solution