What should I look for in Wired router for PS3 gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jumbojo

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I have a linksys befsr41 router and Im having trouble with a restricted nat type trying to play online with my ps3

Im wondering if there is a better router for this type of issue or if there is an easy fix for changing my nat type

I have tried the suggested port forwarding adjustments and dmz etc..

Most of the defaults should be fine for gaming. You may want to upgrade the firmware. The newest version is 1.7 I think.

I assume you mean you locked your PC at 10Mb/s as I don't think you can lock the LAN ports on the router to 10Mb/s. If this is the case, hooking the modem to a LAN port was an unnecessary step, although it worked for your. Just switching your PC to 10Mb/s would have worked.

Anyhow, glad it all worked out for you and hopefully you will get many years of use out of the router.

If your network adapter supports gigabit ethernet, you may want to try to install the newest NIC drivers for it. It's ashame that your router supports 10/100/1000 and you are running at the slowest speed.

jumbojo

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller is what I got..I would suppose I can use a higher setting,yes?

All Iam seeing is either 10,100 or auto 10/100 mbps ?

It's right in the name, "gigabit". I don't see why it would have problems auto negotiating the speed.

Doh, you said, So I accessed the dlink router setup page and locked mps to 10. Now that I think of it, that must be the WAN port on the router. Most older cable/dsl modems only have a 10mbit controller on them.

I thought you said you changed your PC's network interface to 10Mb, so disregard my previous post. Your computer should be communicating with the router at full tilt. :)