What should I look for when buying used gpu?

rubbertoe

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Hi. I'm going to pick up an 8GB Rx 470 that I found on Kijiji in a few days. What should I look/check for when buying used gpu? He said he will show me it running, but what should I look for?

Solution
see it run and have him download 3dmark and run firestrike to make sure the card will handle a load without artifacting. Visually look at the card while its running and make sure the fan is working, see if heat sink is dusty/dirty, look at the screws and see if there are any marks if they've been removed.

You can ask if its ever been overclocked or if its had a waterblock put on it, but then your trusting in the seller being honest.
see it run and have him download 3dmark and run firestrike to make sure the card will handle a load without artifacting. Visually look at the card while its running and make sure the fan is working, see if heat sink is dusty/dirty, look at the screws and see if there are any marks if they've been removed.

You can ask if its ever been overclocked or if its had a waterblock put on it, but then your trusting in the seller being honest.

Solution

rubbertoe

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016

It is a Sapphire Nitro+ OC and yes he still has the box

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

From what i have found Sapphire provides 2 year warranty on the card so it should still have at least a year on it (depending when he purchased it).

TRENDING THREADS