[SOLVED] What should I look for when choosing PC fans?

darkknightrasil

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
My Tower can hold up to 7-9 fans at 120mm (3 top, 3 front, 1 back,2 bottom). I am looking to put at least 4-7 depending on how much space I will have after i install the CPU cooling device. What should I look for when picking them? I am interested in RBG fans for cosmetic look as well.

Solution
AirFLOW > AirBLOW.
Just filling all the slots with fans is more detrimental to airflow, and you're just doing it for looks at that point.
I'm willing to bet some of those slots are really intended for liquid coolers - especially the top. If you're planning to use a tower air cooler, fans at the top will just get in the way, and so will the rear fan, if it is weaker than the fan(s) on the air cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are 5V and 12V RGB standards out there, so make sure what you get matches your motherboard if that is what you want to use for control, otherwise pick a product that comes with its own controller.

In terms of performance, a lot depends on the case and airflow layout. If these are all to be airflow fans, no radiators, then you'll probably want to aim for silence. If you have radiators, then static pressure fans make more sense to push/pull through the extra restriction.

You can use static pressure fans as case fans if you want to, just for appearances sake, but they are less efficient at moving air over a distance. Trading pressure for velocity.

And lastly, cost, you can easily spend $100 on that many RGB fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
AirFLOW > AirBLOW.
Just filling all the slots with fans is more detrimental to airflow, and you're just doing it for looks at that point.
I'm willing to bet some of those slots are really intended for liquid coolers - especially the top. If you're planning to use a tower air cooler, fans at the top will just get in the way, and so will the rear fan, if it is weaker than the fan(s) on the air cooler.

Solution

darkknightrasil

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
AirFLOW > AirBLOW.

I'm assuming the liquid cooler will take the top 2 slots which might leave 1 available, the 3 front, 1 rear and i do not care about the bottom. I don't know much about fans the ones on my current PC(1 fan rear, 1 fan top, and 1 liquid cooler) are all used push air out of my unit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thermaltake VIEW 71 TG
That chassis is bit different from most others as it has big gaps everywhere:
"The View 71 doesn’t have the airflow of a normal case. Air does generally come in the front and go out the back, but it’s also free to flow through the open edges of the case and equalize pressure -- the gaps on the sides allow air to draft in and out based on pressure, and that’s harder to predict than a closed off in/out setup."

So what works best in this chassis isn't as straightforward as it looks. Positive and negative pressure don't apply either, due to large gaps.
Looks like you could fill all the fans slots if you wanted without much of a penalty.

darkknightrasil

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
That chassis is bit different from most others as it has big gaps everywhere:
"The View 71 doesn’t have the airflow of a normal case. Air does generally come in the front and go out the back, but it’s also free to flow through the open edges of the case and equalize pressure -- the gaps on the sides allow air to draft in and out based on pressure, and that’s harder to predict than a closed off in/out setup."

So what works best in this chassis isn't as straightforward as it looks. Positive and negative pressure don't apply either, due to large gaps.
Looks like you could fill all the fans slots if you wanted without much of a penalty.

what would be a prefered brand?