What should I RMA, or is it something else?

brockster666

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
I have a pretty problem as I don't know which part of my PC needs to be replaced.

My PC often (between 2 and 5 times a day) will go black and lose monitor signal, with audio continuing for up to a minute, then the audio stops.

I have a GPU connected, and I tried to use my iGPU to see if it was the problem, but I discovered that when I use the iGPU, the screen is constantly littered with loads of artifacts and graphical glitches.

I am thinking the problem might be either a bad CPU, mobo or PSU because I ran memtest86 overnight and passed 11 times with 0 errors.

I attempted running the iGPU on a live Ubuntu bootable USB to make sure it wasn't windows, but the major artifacts remained.

My specs:
■ Ryzen 2200G
■ Gigabyte RX 560 2G
■ Gigabyte AB350M-GAMING 3 mobo
■ 2x4gb patriot Viper ddr4 2400mhz
■ EVGA 650GQ 650 watt gold rated psu

Solution
I've managed to fix it in the most weird way!

As a last resort, I decided to update the BIOS to the latest version (23d) and all artifacts have gone away and there are no freezes so far.

If anyone else is having this problem, I recommend version 23d for my motherboard, it is a beta version but it's the one I can confirm as working

brockster666

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

I think there has only been 1 freeze under load, every time it freezes it is not while gaming or performing a task that uses lots of cpu/gpu, but it always freezes if I'm watching youtube or browsing a forum, is that still relevant to check temps/voltages?

brockster666

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

The GPU works fine and it actually has been used in my friends machine, but I think the problem isn't there because I mentioned that for some reason, booting my PC using my intergrated graphics causes major artifacts everywhere constantly. All my parts but the 560 are about a month old, something could've been faulted on arrival and I just may need to RMA whatever it is

I reread your original post.
So....this problem (the black screen) happens with the GPU.....and the artifacts happen with the iGPU?
Do the artifacts happen using iGPU with the GPU removed? If so, I'd be looking at the processor or the MB. I think we've somewhat eliminated the PSU.

brockster666

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

I took the GPU out completely and the artifacts still come up when the intergrated graphics are being used, I'm thinking CPU or mobo too. maybe I should rma both, and worst case scenario they'll send me back the non-faulty component if its only 1 of them.

I know RAM came through error-free but I still have my suspucions about it as the RAM is used as the graphics memory for the igpu, possibly causing the artifacts?

brockster666

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

I've tried booting with only 1 stick, trying both of them but it seems to not be the ram

brockster666

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
I've managed to fix it in the most weird way!

As a last resort, I decided to update the BIOS to the latest version (23d) and all artifacts have gone away and there are no freezes so far.

If anyone else is having this problem, I recommend version 23d for my motherboard, it is a beta version but it's the one I can confirm as working

Solution