[SOLVED] what should i upgrade first?

Jan 18, 2021
what should i upgrade first?

i have an i5-8600 and RTX 2060 i mostly play FPS games such as warzone, apex, etc

i got like 600$ to spend on a new gpu (planning to buy 3060ti)

and if i get a new cpu im planning to buy R5 3600X + a new motherboard

help me please!!

Solution
A Ryzen 3600 is a poor upgrade from an Intel i5-8600, especially for something like warzone. Sure it has twice the number of threads, but its underlying architecture limits its ability to render at high refresh rates. If you want to upgrade your CPU, than you want at least a Ryzen 5600x; a last-gen Ryzen CPU will disappoint you and be a pointless use of your money.

Like stated above, many modern games can take advantage of even more cores and threads than the 5600X has, which makes upgrading to a Ryzen 5800X a solid option.
what should i upgrade first?

i have an i5-8600 and RTX 2060 i mostly play FPS games such as warzone, apex, etc

i got like 600$ to spend on a new gpu (planning to buy 3060ti)

and if i get a new cpu im planning to buy R5 3600X + a new motherboard

help me please!!
First component to consider when doing any major upgrade, such as a GPU, is the power supply. Consider the quality of the brand and model as well as its age before any other upgrades. Once that is sorted you can go look for a new GPU.

Hmmm Warzone is a very cpu heavy game and will use 12 threads when available. I don’t know about Apex. It is possible you are limited by the cpu or both cpu & gpu. As a test drop your resolution to 720p and see what FPS you get. This should show you approximately the best FPS your cpu can deliver. Also check how many cpu cores/threads are hitting 100% usage.

Also what RAM do you have? RAM speed is important for high fps gaming.

Jan 18, 2021
Hmmm Warzone is a very cpu heavy game and will use 12 threads when available. I don’t know about Apex. It is possible you are limited by the cpu or both cpu & gpu. As a test drop your resolution to 720p and see what FPS you get. This should show you approximately the best FPS your cpu can deliver. Also check how many cpu cores/threads are hitting 100% usage.

Also what RAM do you have? RAM speed is important for high fps gaming.

yeah i got 16gb 2666mhz RAM. i'll try the dropping resolution test later, thanks for the advice!!

Jan 18, 2021
First component to consider when doing any major upgrade, such as a GPU, is the power supply. Consider the quality of the brand and model as well as its age before any other upgrades. Once that is sorted you can go look for a new GPU.

i have a 650W PSU from what i've read its enough for the 3060ti and whatever cpu i want to buy

A Ryzen 3600 is a poor upgrade from an Intel i5-8600, especially for something like warzone. Sure it has twice the number of threads, but its underlying architecture limits its ability to render at high refresh rates. If you want to upgrade your CPU, than you want at least a Ryzen 5600x; a last-gen Ryzen CPU will disappoint you and be a pointless use of your money.

Like stated above, many modern games can take advantage of even more cores and threads than the 5600X has, which makes upgrading to a Ryzen 5800X a solid option.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution
Jan 18, 2021

im opting for a i7-9700 since i dont have to swap out my motherboard (B360 Pro4) and find it cheaper than the 8700k, is it a good buy?