What should I upgrade in my PC to get the best gaming performance?

Austin Alexander

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Well my specs are,

- AMD FX 6300 3.5 Ghz
- 8 GB RAM
- ASUS GTX 760 2 GB GDDR5
- 1 TB HDD
- Hyper 212 EVO aftermarket cooler

I'm wanting to play gaming on high/ultra at 60 FPS but even on games like Sims 4 or NBA 2K15 I can hardly play on max without getting any kind of stutter. Which part would make the biggest upgrade? I was thinking of putting in a 8320 processor but im not sure if that would increase my fps too much and all my drivers are up to date

Solution

The best way to tell if you are CPU or GPU limited is to lower the graphics detail settings at the same resolution:
- If there is no improvement, it is the CPU that is limiting performance
- If there is an improvement, it is the GPU limiting performance

I would say running at...

The best way to tell if you are CPU or GPU limited is to lower the graphics detail settings at the same resolution:
- If there is no improvement, it is the CPU that is limiting performance
- If there is an improvement, it is the GPU limiting performance

I would say running at medium to high detail settings your CPU will be the limiting factor, which may still be below 60 FPS in some games with that CPU.
Running at high to ultra settings the GPU will be the limiting factor.
For these settings you would want minimum of a GTX 770 or R9 280X to get over 40 FPS.
The GTX 970 is a much better buy though for low power consumption, 4GB of VRAM and superb performance.

Solution

Austin Alexander

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014

Thank you I will try that I was considering upgrading my processor to Intel or upgrading my GPU to 970