[SOLVED] What should I upgrade since I use MAX Vram on Warzone

Nov 14, 2020
Hi. Im looking to upgrade (Anything in my PC which do u think is best for gaming) anything in my PC and looking for suggestions on WHAT to upgrade to. I am leaning towards my GPU and the games I want to run are usually requiring lots of vram etc. Ex: Warzone, The Forest, COD, Games like those. I want like a good stable FPS Playable. These are my specs.

SPECS:
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
7.93 GB RAM

What should I upgrade and what should I replace it with?

Solution
Before upgrading gpu, do yourself a favour and get more ram first. Especially for Warzone. 16GB ram will be significant. Then see.

Gpu upgrade, possibly 3060 when they come out.

I could suggest an i7 processor but the cost isn't worth while, not now at almost 300~400$. Least you can still reuse ram if in case you don't see any different. But honestly think you will.

See Warzone, 8 vs 16GB ram. Other games would benefit as well. Mind you, Windows consumes 2~3GB for itself, that doesn't leave much for games out of 8. It just means pagefile is utilised more rather than keeping most game data flowing in ram and also vram, sacrificing performance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Before upgrading gpu, do yourself a favour and get more ram first. Especially for Warzone. 16GB ram will be significant. Then see.

I could suggest an i7 processor but the cost isn't worth while, not now at almost 300~400$. Least you can still reuse ram if in case you don't see any different. But honestly think you will.

See Warzone, 8 vs 16GB ram. Other games would benefit as well. Mind you, Windows consumes 2~3GB for itself, that doesn't leave much for games out of 8. It just means pagefile is utilised more rather than keeping most game data flowing in ram and also vram, sacrificing performance.

Solution
Nov 14, 2020

Its VRAM that I need. I dont know anything about computers so would that help? Im at the MAX for VRAM

Nov 14, 2020
Vram is also used for storage, stuff goes out of it and into system ram, vice versa, regularly. I do agree, you could use more vram, but you'll need more ram to back it up all the same.

So would buying more ram boost up my VRAM? or just help in overall peformance of the game.

InvalidError

Titan
If you are encountering massive lag spikes while gaming, those are more likely to be caused by the OS needing to use the swapfile because you are out of system RAM and in that situation, no amount of making everything else faster will help much until you add sufficient RAM. On the GPU side, you can always lower graphics details until VRAM size isn't as much of an issue.

While the GPU can use system RAM to offset a mild VRAM deficiency, you need to have that much extra system RAM to spare first.

It would help your overall performance as it's likely you're running short, but for the VRAM, you can only get more with a GPU that has more available.
GPUs can stream assets directly from system RAM when they're tight on VRAM, with the caveat that performance will go down as the GPU spends more time waiting for data over PCIe.

Nov 14, 2020
If you are encountering massive lag spikes while gaming, those are more likely to be caused by the OS needing to use the swapfile because you are out of system RAM and in that situation, no amount of making everything else faster will help much until you add sufficient RAM. On the GPU side, you can always lower graphics details until VRAM size isn't as much of an issue.

While the GPU can use system RAM to offset a mild VRAM deficiency, you need to have that much extra system RAM to spare first.

GPUs can stream assets directly from system RAM when they're tight on VRAM, with the caveat that performance will go down as the GPU spends more time waiting for data over PCIe.
Thank you, Much help!