stephen_58

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hi, I wasn't completely sure which category to put this is so I thought this one made the most sense.
Basically, my PC is getting a bit old (well, 3 years) and I thought I'd upgrade it a bit.. but I don't want an entirely new system. Could anyone please tell me what the most important things to change on this would be:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6750 (2 X 2.66GHz) 1333MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache
Motherboard: ASUS P5K SE
Memory: 2GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066MHz
Graphics: GeForce 8800GT 766mb (thinking of replacing this with a 2gb Radeon 6950??)
Sound: X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1

I think the main thing for me is the graphics and processor.. just really hoping I don't need to change the motherboard!
I haven't been keeping up with the new technology in the last couple of years, and I'm not sure where to even begin.. I haven't exactly got a fortune to spend on it though.
Thanks if you can help!!

stephen_58

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Well, I suppose the main games I really want to use it for (living in Spain at the moment, and hoping to ship the PC over soon) would be the likes of Shogun Total War, the Old Republic, Crysis 2, Arma 3, Elder Scrolls V, Battlefield 3... etc etc..
I think the res is.. 1680 x 1050, from what I can remember, it's a decent-sized monitor anyway.

The PSU is 800w so I'm hoping that should be enough.. And yes, definitely more ram is going to happen.
I suppose my main question is over the processor and motherboard. I just had a few doubts whether I could stick in a new and more powerful graphics card and expect them to handle it? Not sure about this at all..

Thanks for the help though guys.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
The same order as moto suggested sounds good. The only problem I see is the dual core possibly being a problem in a game like BF3. I would go with nothing less than a 560ti or 6870. 2 gigs of ram to make four, and you might have to overclock the cpu, you'll just have to see how it goes.

The problem is your pretty much on the line for a complete upgrade for the games you want to play. Here in the U.S, you can get a pretty decent gaming setup for around 600.00 new, far less if your thrifty and can use e-bay or maybe the Spain equivalent to Craigslist.