Question What should my overclock settings be? i7-8700k

Apr 3, 2019
I'm new to overclocking and scared to try it out. Would be appreciated if you could tell me what overclock settings i should use. Sadly, my MB doesn't support XMP so please take that in mind.

CPU : Intel i7-8700k six core
MB: MSI H310-F-PRO
GPU: GTX 1070 8GB
RAM: 16GB 2400MHz DDR4
Cooling: I currently have a cooler master masterliquid 240mm. 1 rear fan and 3 front fans. + 2 that come with the cooler and 2 with the GPU

Temperatures average at 30C in idle and 50-55C in cinebench.
If any other details are needed ill swiftly reply. Thanks in advance!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There's no magic setting. Even if i had the same components, I may be able to overclock more effectively than your components.

Best thing you can do is trial and error follow the many guides on the internet. But with CPU, effectively gradually increase your multiplier (and voltage if necessary) whilst maintaining stability. If you start getting unstable, revert back to the last good settings.

Obviously checking temperatures regularly.

Apr 3, 2019
There's no magic setting. Even if i had the same components, I may be able to overclock more effectively than your components.

Best thing you can do is trial and error follow the many guides on the internet. But with CPU, effectively gradually increase your multiplier (and voltage if necessary) whilst maintaining stability. If you start getting unstable, revert back to the last good settings.

Obviously checking temperatures regularly.
What would be a safe starting point? im planning on using this PC for a long time. Would turning the ratio to 45 be alright or could i push even more? Also, at what stage would increasing voltage be necessary?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Again, IMO, there's no "safe start point" either. It's purely down to your components and your experience in the past. If this is newer for you, take it slowly and in increments.

The basic crooks of it is, just increase your multiplier one by one and test system stability each time. As your multiplier gets higher, you may need to put in more voltage. The reason why I'm being purposefully evasion on this, is because you might OC your CPU after increasing the multiplier to x5 - I could do the same with mine and it could become unstable after 1 push of the multiplier.

A great guide is here: CPU Overclocking Guide

Feb 23, 2019
I was in the same boat messing around with a older ryzen 5 1400. I started out changing the multiplier just a little more than stock, did some testing and benchmarking. I increased in small amounts until temperatures were to hot or stability was an issue. Start small, start slow, read the numerous write ups in this and you should be ok.

Jun 28, 2018
I'm new to overclocking and scared to try it out. Would be appreciated if you could tell me what overclock settings i should use. Sadly, my MB doesn't support XMP so please take that in mind.

Cooling: I currently have a cooler master masterliquid 240mm. 1 rear fan and 3 front fans. + 2 that come with the cooler and 2 with the GPU

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OVERCLOCK ON THE MOTHERBOARD YOU HAVE!!!

Most likely you’ll end up frying the motherboard. H310 isn’t designed to support OC. Only the mid range Z370 and beyond motherboards are able to maintain an OC

Apr 8, 2019

if your new to overclocking a good place to start if you have an intel cpu is intel extreme tuning utility as it is basic and easy to use even if your not used to overclocking try that and make sure your cpu temperature doesn't go over 70 degrees though and don't add to much voltage to the cores as well (unless its necessary).

TRENDING THREADS