What simple (free) codec install for mpeg-2 ?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I'm making someone a PC disk, and I want to be sure they can view the mpeg-2
that is on it without any hassle.

Is there a free codec installation I can put on the CD for them to run if
they can't view it.

I've had varied success (usually failure) in letting, lets say, windows
media player look for a codec in such instances.

I'll most likely be encoding the mpeg-2 from an AVI with TmpgEnc.

thanks

Use the free version of Power DVD, it will install the codec.

:
: Is there a free codec installation I can put on the CD for them to run if
: they can't view it.
:
: I've had varied success (usually failure) in letting, lets say, windows
: media player look for a codec in such instances.
:
: I'll most likely be encoding the mpeg-2 from an AVI with TmpgEnc.
:
: thanks
:
:
:

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I really need a small 'codec only' install as disk space will be at a
premium.

I want them to stick in the CD, if it don't work, just run the codec install
and away.
(Also don't want to rely on net connection being available for downloads)

"Pete D" <dont.use@email.to.reply> wrote in message
> Use the free version of Power DVD, it will install the codec.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

There's no such thing as a free mpeg-2 codec, at least legally.
That's why MS has never included one with any version of
Windows.

If you want free, you'll need to go the not-so-legal route. Plug
"MPEG-2 codec" into Google and go to the first link. Or another
link.

Rick

Steve wrote:
> I'm making someone a PC disk, and I want to be sure they can view the mpeg-2
> that is on it without any hassle.
>
> Is there a free codec installation I can put on the CD for them to run if
> they can't view it.
>
> I've had varied success (usually failure) in letting, lets say, windows
> media player look for a codec in such instances.
>
> I'll most likely be encoding the mpeg-2 from an AVI with TmpgEnc.
>
> thanks

free :
look for the kazaalite codec pack (it has the elecard codec).
Or download Media Player Classic which has a built-in MPEG2 decoder.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"steve" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:40A1FC5F.8080404@a.com...
> Or download Media Player Classic which has a built-in MPEG2 decoder.

No it doesn't.

Rick

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2geckuF1s309U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "steve" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:40A1FC5F.8080404@a.com...
> > Or download Media Player Classic which has a built-in MPEG2 decoder.
>
> No it doesn't.
>
> Rick

IIRC version, VideoLan Client ( ww.vlc.org )has a built in MPEG2
decoder, within the app package. It's GNU so you'll have to include
the licence with the distribution and a link to the source code.

Dylan

On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:05:31 +0100, "Steve" <no-one@in.particular.com>
wrote:

>Is there a free codec installation I can put on the CD for them to run if
>they can't view it.

Yes, there is. Get the Fraunhofer DirectShow filters. They are free,
both video (mpeg.-2), and audio (ac3).

On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:29:16 -0700, "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>There's no such thing as a free mpeg-2 codec, at least legally.

Not a free encoder; but we are speaking decoders here.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Rick wrote:
> "steve" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:40A1FC5F.8080404@a.com...
>
>>Or download Media Player Classic which has a built-in MPEG2 decoder.
>

> No it doesn't.
>
> Rick

I wouldn't have said it did if it didn't