[SOLVED] What slot does a built in wifi card go into on a motherboard?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
My Asus Rog Strix z270e has a built in wifi card and I am trying to search something up. What specific slot does the wifi card plug into if it is a built in wifi card? Also, what kind of slot does an Intel wifi card go into? Like the AC9260. Could a card like that be plugged into this motherboard?

Solution
What are your full system specs including any M.2 drives or graphics cards?

As USAFRet said, you can't remove it, but you CAN disable it in the BIOS, and then install an aftermarket add in board. Maybe there are not enough lanes available if you're having problems. It could happen depending on the slot you are putting it in and what drives you have installed OR if you have multiple graphics cards installed.

Need to install the manufacturer drivers for it too.
If it's built in, it doesn't go in ANY slot. It's part of the motherboard itself.

Any of the add in cards like the Intel wireless cards can be installed in ANY of the x1, x4 or x16 slots, as long as it's a x1 card. If it's a x4 card then it needs to go in a x4 slot or a x16 slot.

USAFRet

Titan
It's not in a 'slot', it's built into the motherboard.
yIcrvkg.png

Why do you need a different one?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
I didn't mean slot necessarily. I mean't the chip. Isn't it a wifi chip that is put into the board? Like a laptop wifi card? @USAFRet @Darkbreeze I need a new one because whenever I plug a PCIE wifi card in the motherboard just bottle necks it. It won't put full power to it. I disabled the built in wifi card in the Asus bios but still won't do. I was trying to figure out what slot it was in so I could look up how to disable all power from going to there and allocating it to the PCIe wifi card.

What are your full system specs including any M.2 drives or graphics cards?

As USAFRet said, you can't remove it, but you CAN disable it in the BIOS, and then install an aftermarket add in board. Maybe there are not enough lanes available if you're having problems. It could happen depending on the slot you are putting it in and what drives you have installed OR if you have multiple graphics cards installed.

Need to install the manufacturer drivers for it too.

Solution