Question What software can i use to open configuration files of AOE Game ?

Apr 26, 2019
Hello !
I've just recently reinstalled "Age of Empires: Dawn of the Modern World" because i wanted to try it out again to refresh some memories after 10+ years.
Now since the game is way outdated and there are a few things that bug me, i'd like to make some changes, since its a lot easier now to make changes yourself in configuration files. Its an offline game so the changes affect only me.
I've managed to change a few things already using "Notepad++" to fix a few things within the game files, but im currently stuck, not being able to change more due to some weird file extensions.
The files end in .dat, .cem, .udf, and so on. They all have the same encoded text (NULL, ETX, BS, SOH,..) inside when i try to open them with Notepad++ and its unreadable.
Im no expert in those things, so im asking for a suggestion what software can i use to edit the files.
You can check the screenshot i've attached below.
Thanks !

SCREENSHOT

Apr 26, 2019
Im not really sure, but as i keep reading different forums on the same problem, it seems that those configuration files are encrypted and can only be accessed with a password which is kept by developers, meaning i cannot do anything to change them.
Am i correct or is there a way around this ?

Not necessary, these files could contain configuration data stored in binary format instead of plain text. That is, instead of "Armor type: Steel", there would be a binary number like 12, and "Armor type: Paper" would be stored as 13. And yes, you won't find a dictionary unless you're developer, or someone did reverse-engineering.

Reactions: Elrab
due to some weird file extensions.
The files end in .dat, .cem, .udf, and so on.

.dat files are generic data files that are created when you do a task in a program. typically, you wouldnt need to "view" them to change any values for any kind of fixes as these are randomly filled with data.

.cem files are metadata files for graphics(meaning data about data for your graphics) These also would not need to be change as they dont affect the actual program(in your case AoE) but contain data about the different graphics files for the game.

.udf files are typically files that emulate a disk or a drive; most likely this is the biggest file that you have in your directory. It should be a file(or files) that would be used to run the game(or mount to run the game) or as part of the DRM for the software(you said that you are running offline so this shouldnt be an issue either.) Another file I would probably not try to mess with as it would be a waste of time.

With that, what are you actually trying to change/achieve? optimization? fiddle with settings to get god mode or goofy gameplay? This is important to understand so we can help you better. :)

From the looks of your screenshot; the .dat files(dbanimals and dbambientsounds) are the database files for those specific things(I do not know what they actually do without throwing them into a db.)

The .cem file (3du_xgamespy2_background...) is the background file for the GameSpy network program built into games of old and that network is no longer around and the servers have been shutdown. Most likely that specific file is for the background images(probably ads) that rotate on the gamespy client. But again, since you are playing offline, I wouldnt concern myself with changing this.

Additionally, these files are not encrypted; they are just compiled so you will get non UTF-8 encoding for them. If you were really curious as to what they are, you can throw them into a decompiler (IDA Pro for example) and you would see whats behind the curtain.

Cheers,
Cam

Apr 26, 2019
With that, what are you actually trying to change/achieve? optimization? fiddle with settings to get god mode or goofy gameplay? This is important to understand so we can help you better. :)

Thanks for reply, means alot to take your time and explain so much in detail, I really appreciate it.
Well what im trying to do are 2 things, if you are familiar with AOE games there are different resources such as gold, wood, food and stone. Now in this version of the game there are only a few nodes on each map and each node has about 4-5k of a certain resource (the number is alway random).
Now when it comes to gold, which is the main resource in the game the amount that is offered on the map is way to low for max players (i prefer to play the hardest difiiculty with as many bots as possible).
Now looking at some accessible files i've been able to change the amount of gold nodes that spawns on the map, since the map configuration files are not encrypted. However there is nothing about the resource amount of each node by itself, as mention before it's always rendomly chosen between 4-5k.
That was the first problem i've encounter, but i've managed to do some modifications once im in the specific game by using Cheat Engine and modifying the numbers (takes time, but it works).
The second thing i am annoyed by are certain units, in my case priests. Some of the "factions" have overpowered effects on priests, that are abused by bots on the hardest difficulty and it really makes the game unfair and unwinnable.
I've looked over the files and found the exact file that mentions the "spell" that is used by the priests, and i would like to see if its possible to remove it or make it at least unaccessable by making the cost higher for example.
I've also tried modifying the numbers within the game using Cheat Engine, but the game constantly crashes.
So at this point i've given up, if you have any suggestion i would truly appreciate it.
I've added a link to some screenshots - Map files that im able to modify and .dat files that mention the "spell - effect" but are encrypted (the effect is called "Plague").

Screenshots