Question What software can you recommend?

Hi all,

I've upgraded my GPU recently (just over a month ago) to an RX 6800 XT. Ever since, I've encountered several BSODs and I haven't managed to fully pin-point the issue. They happen at random intervals.

As for PC usage, load and temps are all normal. The only unusual thing is that my Apps sometimes crash. Again, at random intervals. Not just gaming apps but it can be my browser or Microsoft Word as well.

I can't remember what the first two error codes were, but here's the rest of them:
#3 - IRQL Not Less or Equal
#4 - Unexpected Kernel Mode Tral Error
#5 - IRQL Not Les or Equal

After reading up on these errors, I've done two things:
  • Updated my GPU and PC Drivers
  • Run Memtest86 (two times) with no errors
These were done after BSOD #4.
When #5 popped up, I was a bit confused. I'm not sure what other tests/programs I can run to pinpoint the problem?

Can someone also recommend a good way to update all of my PC Drivers? I'm not a fan of Driver Booster 8 Free.

Can I update my GPU drivers without using AMD Adrenalin? I would rather uninstall it if I can.

Full Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700X
Noctua NH-D15S
ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800 XT 16GB
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Adata SX8200 Pro 512GB ◾ KLEVV Neo N610 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ◾ WD Blue 2TB
NZXT AER 140mm & Hue+ ◾ Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Super Flower Leadex III Gold ARGB 850w
Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You're always advised to install all drivers manually, after you've sourced all relevant drivers from your manufacturer's support site. Being lazy and using one app to do everything, almost always ends up with the end user who was lazy, to buy a new motherboard or worse, having to buy new pats for wrong drivers installed and caused either an overheating issue or a bricked motherboard.

Take your time, source all drivers for the motherboard for motherboard's support site and source the GPU drivers from AMD's support site.

You're always advised to install all drivers manually, after you've sourced all relevant drivers from your manufacturer's support site. Being lazy and using one app to do everything, almost always ends up with the end user who was lazy, to buy a new motherboard or worse, having to buy new pats for wrong drivers installed and caused either an overheating issue or a bricked motherboard.

Take your time, source all drivers for the motherboard for motherboard's support site and source the GPU drivers from AMD's support site.

So for the motherboard/BIOS updates, I do source them directly from the manufacturer's website.

For the GPU, I didn't manage to find the option to manually update the drivers like I used to be able with Nvidia GPUs. It seems that I am forced to use AMD Adrenalin. Do you know if it's possible to do this manually?

As for all the other drivers (network, display adapters, Realtek, etc etc...) do you know of any checklists that can help me make sure I've updated everything? I wouldn't mind doing this manually but I just don't know how to appart from going into Device Manager and checking for drivers there: though I find that this is very ineffective.

As of now, I've uninstalled as many devices as I could, plugged them back in and manually updated each driver one by one as best I could.
It turns out I was not on the latest BIOS. I updated my Chipset (first deleting the old one) & my BIOS to the latest version.
I used DDU and deleted any previous AMD GPU drivers, as well as previous Nvidia drivers (as I used to have a GTX) and then reinstalled my GPU driver through AMD Adrenalin.

I will see how this will hold out.

If I encounter another BSOD, I will change the RAM to 2933MHz. And then get back to you with an update.

Reactions: Flayed
Hi guys, sending you a little update on my situation.

Everything had been running pretty well since my last post. I also upgraded my CPU to a 5600x around 10 days ago.

Until 2 nights ago where I got yet again another BSOD. It's the "Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap" again. I then set the RAM to 2933MHz. Last night I banged my table hard, which shaked it and it caused my system to instantly black screen and shut down. Upon trying to turn it back on, I got an orange debug light on my motherboard, which is the DRAM light. I cleared the CMOS battery and tried to turn it on again with 1 RAM stick only (I tried differemt sticks on all 4 slots) but no luck. My PC wouldn't turn on and the DRAM light is still on. But for some reason, this morning my PC turned on again, still with 1 RAM stick. Everything is currently on stock settings in the BIOS.

Not too sure what to do here. Could my motherboard be the problem? I'm thinking it may be the motherboard since memtest86 showed no errors after running the test twice.

FYI: I've had this orange DRAM light issue once last year when I upgraded from the Stock 2700X Wraith Prism cooler to the NH-D15S but managed to fix it by clearing the CMOS for some weird reason. Moreover, I've got this other issue with my PC that I've learnt to just live with because I never found the problem: when I load a game, or start a game (like entering/launching a CoD Warzone map or launching the Fortnite game altogether), I'm often watching a youtube video on my second screen. While I wait for the game to load, while it's loading, there is a point where my PC freezes for 2-3 seconds, and then tries to catch up with itself really quickly. What i mean by this: let's say I search for game in the Foetnite lobby, I'm watching a Youtune video on my second screen while it's searching for a game. It would find a match and start loading in. In the meantime, I'm still watching my video, the video would freeze for 2-3 seconds but the audio from the video is still going as normal (I can't even move the mouse pointer), 2-3 seconds later, my PC would unfeeeze and the video would fast forward very quickly to catch up with the audio. Best way I can describe this is that the PC is trying to catch up on all the inputs/actions that happened during that 2-3 second freeze very quickly. I've ruled out the HDD/SSD as a problem as I've tried reinstalling Windows on different deives several times.
Not sure if it's relevant but I decided to throw this in here anyways. Though it is happenong quite rarely now for some reason. Not sure what happened there.

Last edited: